Need education on using trim

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Need education on using trim

Post by Steven »

I've never owned a boat with Trim before so I'm not really sure about setting it and how to use it. Tips appreciated.

peter-curacao

Re: Need education on using trim

Post by peter-curacao »

Steven wrote:I've never owned a boat with Trim before so I'm not really sure about setting it and how to use it. Tips appreciated.
I think it's difficult to explain, you have to feel it, but you can do a lot with it, just play with it I'm sure you will getting the hang for it faster as you would think :wink:

Edit: I assumed you are talking tabs

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

I use the engine trim to improve hole shot with it trimmed all the way down. That causes the engine to push the bow down and lift the transom. I get on top quicker that way. But once I push over the bow wave I have to begin tilting the engine up which raises the bow. That moves the hull into a true planing mode. The engine rpm comes up and the speed increase. It also eliminates bow steering. I bring the bow up to a point where the engine rpm and speed are maxed out at a given throttle setting. Too high and the rpm goes up with and speed drops, it begins to suck air. When you have everything at maximum though hard turns will cause cavitation and over-revving. At first you'll find yourself playing with the trim all the time. Eventually, you'll get the feel for the boat.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks MD. I'm sure I'll get a feel for it. Pointers like trimming down while taking off are greatly appreciated.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I have always done what MD described. I will say that once you come on plane and start trimming the motor you will begin to feel like the boat is easier to steer. That's the beginning of the sweet spot. The like MD said you trim it until you hit the desired speed/RPM then it's easy cruising :D I've always been a lake cruiser so some of the salty dawgs may give you better ocean advice.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

This site has a trim tab simulator... http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/simulator.htm... but, like others have said, after a bit of experience with your particular boat/tabs, you'll figure it out.
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Only thing I'd add is that if you are on plane and trim it up and the boat starts 'porpoising' (sp?) than you have trimmed it too high. This is when the bow of the boat begins oscillating up and down even though you are not going over waves. Up to that point, usually higher is better. However, if you're going through a chop, especially running into it, trimming down will keep your prow cutting through the waves and smooth out the ride. Alternately if going with some big waves offshore, keeping the bow up can prevent you from digging into the back of the wave in front of you that you are overtaking.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

wadestep wrote:Only thing I'd add is that if you are on plane and trim it up and the boat starts 'porpoising' (sp?) than you have trimmed it too high. This is when the bow of the boat begins oscillating up and down even though you are not going over waves. Up to that point, usually higher is better. However, if you're going through a chop, especially running into it, trimming down will keep your prow cutting through the waves and smooth out the ride. Alternately if going with some big waves offshore, keeping the bow up can prevent you from digging into the back of the wave in front of you that you are overtaking.
wade
X2

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

The only thing to add is with the trim all the way down it will give you greater visibility with the bow being lower, so if you are around other boats, at any speed, that is a better way to go.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Just be careful with that full down trim until you get the feel for it. After I added the jack plate to my OD18, I could drive the bow completely underwater with full trim down and some weight in the front of the boat 8O I moved the trim limit pin up a notch to keep that from happening again.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose