OB 19 in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OB 19 in Maryland

Post by Batedunie »

It has officially started...!

I have been pouring over the plans for weeks now and have been struggling...

So I just decided to buy some supplies and figure it out... First things first...build the strongback and buy some wood!

Hopefully I can keep a steady pace on this boat with plenty of advice from the builders here...

Thanks

Mike

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB 19 in Maryland

Post by peter-curacao »

Welcome to the board and good luck and have fun! 8)

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Good to see someone close building. The plans will have all the information it just might not be on the page you think it should be. Figuring out the plans is part of the fun. After you solved the riddle move on. There are great builders on this forum just ask and you will have a straight answer. work like a dog on it and it will get done.
Dave

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Congrats on your start. Ditto all that has been said previously about this site. It is the genuine thing. John

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

You're also in luck that Steven and I have recently been through all the steps you are about to take. If you have a question and I don't seem to be answering, drop me a line on my build thread (OB19 in SW FL). That way I'll get a reminder email.
Wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks for all the replies everybody...I have been working on cutting out some pieces this weekend...Im sure all of you like seeing pictures of every step as much as I do so ill try to upload some more pics soon...

Wade...I have read and re-read yours and steven's build too many times to count...thank you for those many hours spent reading every line...I will have many questions...i hope you dont mind helping

Mike

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

I got a few things accomplished today....

The first thing I did was clean up the garage to give me a little more room...Then I started to cut out some panels...It was hard not to think about how expensive the wood was as I was cutting it...Hopefully turns out ok!

Transom is cut...

Stringers are started but not finished...

I cant do anything with out help from my shop assistants!

All in all I got transom, clamping boards, and two half stringers cut...when I add it all up it doesnt amount to much but dammit I worked hard today!

Batedunie

Steven

Post by Steven »

Great to see another OB19 build. Great boat for MD waters. I grew up there and my folks live on the water in Lusby, just outside of Solomons. I still can't get over how stable this boat is. :) Don't be shy with the questions. We're to help.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks for the reply Steven...I grew up near there spending my summers out of Benedict...

I have a question for everybody...Take a look at the pictures below....The notch in my transom is not lining up with the tops of the clamping boards....I double checked the measurements and cant find any mistakes...am I missing something or did I measure wrong...Im ready to start putting the jig together but want to make sure everything is right before moving on...can someone help me to understand this?

This is a close up

Thanks in advance
Mike

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I don't know exactally what is wrong, but the cut out of the transom and the clamping boards should all line up at the top - where the motor would sit. I'd check again against the plans, and also post here the dimensions of the transom and the clamping boards - height on plans and as cut from the keel.
This is one area that the plans were altered after a couple of OB19s were built - mine has a 23-ish" height, but this should be closer to 21 or so for a 20" shaft.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.