Modified CC (very modified)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: Modified CC (very modified)

Post by ks8 »

8)

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

No this isn't rain drops on my yak, It's what happens when you try strip building for the first time, lol. I'm now filling in, as well as I can, all the staple holes, gaps, knot cracks, and stitches. It's very time consuming, If I do this again I will refine my process to make sure all the staple holes line up and the gaps are near invisible. I also added a thin strip to the nose to cap off the strips.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

It's too late now, but what I did on my strip canoe was to sand it pretty decent then take steaming hot water and wipe it down all over. This swelled the wood a bit and closed the staple holes about 99% then I sanded lightly and you could hardly tell the staple holes were ever there. :D

Looking good 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Yeeaaahhh, I have perhaps done a few things out of order on this one, lol. :?

I went over the outside with warm water and a foam brush hitting each hole, then I Sanded. It shrank them up a lot and many you can't see, but the rest I had to fill. Next time I will do it your way. Also when I make the decks I will try to line up all the staple holes every few inches so it looks more uniform.

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie »

silentneko wrote:I am about a week behind on this build now. I pulled my back and had to stay out of the garage, but I'm all healed up and ready to go.

I had to cut a bunch of strips, some from 2x and some from 1x, to finish up the boat. Honestly that is the worst part, cutting all the strips takes forever, then having to piece the panels together. If I built from luan panels it would have been assembled in a weekend, but it would be heavier and not nearly as cool.

I started working on the interior support structure. I redid all my draft calculations, I calculated out the area station by station at 18". I used several different methods to try and find the draft and got a range from 3.2" to 4.1", however that is at 350lbs total load. I seriously doubt I will ever exceed the 320lbs mark but wanted to figure high. I decided to make the sole 4.75" so it will be self bailing after all. I may have gone a little nuts and over built it.

Test fitting

I decided to lighten the supports a little by cutting some holes, it won't effect them structurally as they are overbuilt anyway. I will be using floatation foam under the sole so it will flow between the chambers and add even more support.

The holes I cut out lightened the support by about a pound or so.

You have lot of stuff in that boat. Where does the seat go?

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

A little north of the hull bottom, but just south of my rear :lol: . Seriously though I'm not sure what you mean, I haven't put the sole down yet, it will be bolted to the top of that at some point and fasion.

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie »

My Cheap Canoe is close to the plans and is rather tippy if I try to sit too high. Your version looks much wider but are you sure your modified bottom makes the boat stabile enough to allow you to sit so high?

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

If not, I suspect we may see the slick strip planked amas next... 8)

LIDave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LIDave »

Charlie wrote:My Cheap Canoe is close to the plans and is rather tippy if I try to sit too high. Your version looks much wider but are you sure your modified bottom makes the boat stabile enough to allow you to sit so high?
I was thinking the same thing. I noticed a difference in stability between sitting on a cushion and sitting flat on the bottom of the canoe.
But.... maybe with the extra weight and width it would be more stable.. IDK :?

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

The standard CC is only 22" at the widest point of the hull bottom, mine is 28". 6" may not seem like much, but really it will be a world of difference in stability. Some of my inspiration came from SOT yaks I've seen that people stand up in, they were anywhere from 27" to 34" wide. The SUP offered now is only 30.5" wide, so I think I will be ok, I may not be able to stand, but stability at rest for fishing will be good. Worst case is I build some outriggers.