Starboard alternatives?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
kjackson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Starboard alternatives?

Post by kjackson »

I'm finally rewiring my aluminum boat, and I need to close off a space under the splashwell to protect both the busbar and the back end of the switch panel. Normally, I'd just use plywood that I'd fiberglassed. However, it's colder than it needs to be in the South, and I have to drive 45 miles to buy a piece of plywood. For this project, I'd rather cut, fit and be finished.

There is listing on eBay for half-inch starboard that would work for less than $40 (with free shipping).

But is there a less expensive alternative that I'm missing?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Keith

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Starboard alternatives?

Post by Cracker Larry »

How about some sheet aluminum, bend it and pop rivet?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

kjackson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kjackson »

If that was something I could get here (or online) I might do it--with the exception of the pop rivets. That is the current setup on my boat, and it is the problem I'm dealing with. Since the plate is pop riveted onto the splashwell and screwed into the deck, I can't readily move it and deal with the switches. (The switches are mounted so low that I have to get down on the deck to read the lights to see if they're on, off or whatever the third position is... ) And there is no room behind the plate to access the switches (also pop riveted in place), so I can't work on the switches anyway.

My plan is to remove the plate and replace it with whatever, moving it a bit so as to give good access to the bilge pump (which is also behind the blinking plate that is pop riveted in place) and bolt the new piece of whatever to the splashwell. The deck end of the whatever will be bolted to aluminum angle that would be screwed to the deck.

This will allow me to clean up the wiring mess the riggers left and hopefully find the short that was draining the battery even with the switches off.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

If that was something I could get here (or online) I might do it---with the exception of the pop rivets.
They don't have sheet aluminum and pull rivets in Arkansas :?: Dang. Borrow a road sign :lol: Rivets are easy, drill them out to remove the old ones and put new ones where you want them. They sell them at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace and others.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

LIDave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LIDave »

How about a piece of plexiglass or lexan (much stronger)
Paint the back so you can't see through it.
Much less $ than starboard.

kjackson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kjackson »

Thanks for the suggestions...What I'll end up with really depends upon what I find when I head over to the flatlands to visit the nearest big box store. While I'm sure somewhere in Arkansas there is just what I need (sort of marine plywood), they all involve driving a ways. The problem I have here is that we live in a small town (2300) that draws a huge tourist influx most of the year. Our stores generally are tie-dyed t-shirt shops, bars, antique shops, artist's studios and other associated things I don't need.

If I wasn't in a hurry to get the boat on the water, I'd probably poke around a bit and find it locally. However, I keep thinking I have a GF16 in my future, and that makes me want to hit the easy button.