Runabout, powered by PWC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Runabout, powered by PWC

Post by tech_support »

dry fitted, need to make the hole a touch longer so ski-hull can drop the rest of the way in towards the front.

Once Im happy with the fit, will pull the ski hull out and remove some more fiberglass, leaving a nice flange for bonding.

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

This is a design, that I have absolutely no use for, find zero need for it, and in many ways it seems utterly useless. And yet, I love it. Perhaps it is the lack of purpose, the fact that it is purely a boat of leisure that makes it so enticing. Your doing a first rate job of it!

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

So does the forward force from the jet get transferred to the bottom of hull mostly or to the transom?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

So does the forward force from the jet get transferred to the bottom of hull mostly or to the transom?
pushing force is transfered to the hull bottom via a thrust bearing of sorts, its also the coupling to the motor. That thrust coupling is bonded to a fiberglass part that is bedded to the bottom of the jetski hull. In this case, we take all that with us from the ski, so the pushing from the ski hull to the jetabout hull will happen all around where we bond it in; big overlaps and plenty of glass.

had we not used the motor mounts and thrust bearing from the donor ski, we would need to make a floor frame glass to teh hull bottom and sides that would take the force.

This is a design, that I have absolutely no use for, find zero need for it, and in many ways it seems utterly useless.
This is a design, that I have absolutely no use for, find zero need for it, and in many ways it seems utterly useless. And yet, I love it. Perhaps it is the lack of purpose, the fact that it is purely a boat of leisure that makes it so enticing. Your doing a first rate job of it!
Yes, this will be the only boat I have ever owned without a rod holder :) It will get used though :wink: Trips to the sand bar with family and just plain boat rides when the ocean is too nasty for fishing.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Pretty Slick guys! I like it! I know that the idea has been batted around and deemed unfit, but I would love to see this applied to a flats skiff! And even though this boat has no real purpose other than putting wind in your hair and a smile on the kids face, it is a whole lot better than that dang useless, annoying jetski!
Great build, keep the updates coming!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

The jetski's aren't annoying, but most of the time the people on it are :wink: what to do with them? cut them up and glue/tape them on a Carnival cruise in the gulf of Mex.?

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

I'm curious. :doh: Is the jet ski hull polyester resin /fiberglass or SMC? Really cool boat. 8)

Heloman78
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heloman78 »

I've been watching this site for at least at least five years, been a member for at least a couple. I've got tons of good advice from this site either directly or thorugh reading others posts; I've bought lots of materails from this site to do major repairs or crazy little projects; but I've never built a boat. I currently have three boats, they all do their jobs well, sort of a boat for all occasions; I've been really temped to dive in with a OB19, C19 or C21 but if I do that I should get rid of my main boat (Chris Craft Commander 333) becuase the day one of those boats comes on line it's the day that my Commander really becomes just a floating condo, and I just can't do that to her, she deserves better (Even though a day trip can almost pay a mortgate payment 8O ).

But this...this is a boat I don't have. I've been tempeted many times to get a jet boat just for fun but I never found one I like enough, they're so "plasticky." With the style you guys have put into this boat, if it runs good, I think this might be the one.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Heloman - don't feel bad, I've been on this site since 2003 and still haven't built anything! So, how would you finish this out if you built one?

I see you're a fellow Wisconsinite! There was talk at one point of a Dells Builder Meet. Maybe it's time to build and then we'll have to get Jacques & Joel to fly to the landlubber state and laugh at our freshwater fishing habits. :lol:

Heloman78
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heloman78 »

tobolamr wrote:Heloman - don't feel bad, I've been on this site since 2003 and still haven't built anything! So, how would you finish this out if you built one?

I see you're a fellow Wisconsinite! There was talk at one point of a Dells Builder Meet. Maybe it's time to build and then we'll have to get Jacques & Joel to fly to the landlubber state and laugh at our freshwater fishing habits. :lol:
I think with the round transom and the tumblehome the style is pretty well set; it's screaming for lots of varnished wood( varnish over epoxy of course, with clear LPU top coat :D ) or at least lots of accent pieces, Polished stainless, dark colored sides; you know the old barrel back style but in a smaller and more modern jet boat, this thing is really going to turn some heads! But none of this is my great idea... I'm pretty sure this has been the idea all along; I don't think this one will be painted white. 8) Also, any of the builders on this site would be welcome to come for a ride with me anytime, I go on out an Lake Michigan, I don't care if anyone lauphs at my drinking...I mean fishing habits, sometimes I even catch fish. :P