HMD19 Basic Electrical & Accessories

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

HMD19 Basic Electrical & Accessories

Post by blueflood »

I have been scouring the web for books (which I already own a few) but none really have schematics for a basic electrical layouts. Granted there are so many variables here but for my HMD19 and 15hp(? still debating) outboard supplying 12amps and the anticipated electrical load consisting of fuel gauge, tachometer, hour meter, navigation lights, horn, VHS radio and a small GPS / chart plotter. I was wondering if anyone out there (Chicagoross) has a similar set-up and available wiring diagram ? I am keeping everything basic, simple with nothing more (but may want a bit of moving room for later on i.e. AM/FM/CD). I was not planning on anything than the starting battery, wanting to avoid house batteries altogether.

Marc

Cracker Larry

Re: HMD19 Basic Electrical & Accessories

Post by Cracker Larry »

Deleted. Double post :oops:
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Does this help you any...

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

When you go to look for a switch panel / fuse block, look for one that has front replaceable fuses. You will be thankful you did.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Hey Larry thanks for that drawing 8) one question though shouldn't the grounding be separate from the negative?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No. That would be called a floating ground and we don't float our grounds, just our boats :lol: The engine block itself is electrically the negative and the ground. Everything grounded is connected to it.

Unless I misunderstand your question?

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:No. That would be called a floating ground and we don't float our grounds, just our boats :lol: The engine block itself is electrically the negative and the ground. Everything grounded is connected to it.

Unless I misunderstand your question?
Probably I'm wrong I always thought all the ground wires (clean grounds,green wires)fill caps, tanks etc. goes to the engine ground and all those stays apart from the negative terminal

Edit: let me try to explain better by this example, when I was installing oil rigs we had clean and dirty grounding the dirty grounding were the shields you find in cables under the first isolation, that was always connected in one way of an other to the closest steel or metal structure near by (deck), the clean ground was an insulated wire (next to the negative insulated string) what was in the cable after peeling away the first isolation, ground shield and a couple other insulators, that wire went to the clean grounding block what went directly into the sea through a insulated main ground cable.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

OK, now I understand what you are saying :D Yes, that is the correct way for a boat of any complexity also, my diagram was just for the current carrying wires in the electrical system. The "dirty ground" is what we usually call a bonding system in a boat. They connect all metal structures above and below the water with a heavy gauge wire and ultimately still ground to the engine block, but don't carry any electrical load.

In my OD18 I have grounding (bonding) wires connecting the T-top, throttle, steering wheel, fuel tank and fill, thru-hull fittings and engine block. Electrically they all terminate at the engine block and negative battery post but they use different cables than the load carrying wires in the diagram.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

BTW, there should be a basic electrical diagram included with the plans, something to use as a starting point.
And there is this excellent little book:
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPA002
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Salut Jacques,

Yes, there was not one included though

Marc