Question for folks in Western Wa.

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Question for folks in Western Wa.

Post by Bowmovement »

Have recentlly moved to area and am very close to being in a position to build. Looking to mainly fish the south sound and lakes, also rivers if possible. I am having a problem deciding what platform to go with. I also would like the boat to be comfortable enough for the family, wife and 1 year old. Would love to build the OD18 but rough and wet ride is not going to fit into my wifes plans for a boat ride. Any advise would be helpful. Is a flat bottom even recommended in the area. Also all I ever see is aluminum. Is there a specific reason for that here?

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

BCbuoy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Question for folks in Western Wa.

Post by BCbuoy »

Hi Matt

I've just moved to Vancouver Island--I'm thinking a bit larger--Pilot 19. Conversations I've had here are very much about enclosed cabin--or limit your fishing days on the ocean. Water is too cold for pleasant spray over the bow other wise. OF course if you are die hard, wearing a mustang you can probably fish any time, reserving the nicest days for the family. I am a little hung up on the 90 horse, vs a 70 or less on a smaller boat (Ob 19 or FS17). So I am still undecided. As for aluminum--there are a few older wood boats around, and lots of fibreglass here. Not really sure why except probably price--Alcan at Kitimat may mean lower Aluminum prices here...

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

BC,

My end goal is the DE25 long cabin. Being from the North Carolina coast I have always loved the Down East style boats. If it wasn't for my wife needing creature comforts though I'd do the P21. I just want to takle something a little smaller and cheaper first to see if I even want to take on a project that size. If I do decide to take a DE25 I will have a little boat to get out and fish when I need a break from boat building.

Debating right between FS17, GF16, OD18, and maybe GV15.

Havent done too much research on the GV15 though.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

kjackson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kjackson »

Hmmmm...there's good news (sort of) and bad news.

First, let's start with the question about aluminum boats in the PNW. Those who want to do what you are after--lakes, rivers, Sound and ocean, choose aluminum boats with big pumps because that is the only real compromise boat that will do it all. To run rivers--that is if you want to get up in the skinny stuff--you need a boat with a jet or pump. Most, if not all such boats, are built out of metal because that can take the abuse of the occasional boulder or river bar getting in the way. Way back in the day, wooden flatbottoms were the river boat of choice, but those make a poor compromise for the saltwater.

If I were to move back to the PNW--spent most of my life there and 25-plus years fishing in the salt--I would build two boats because one wouldn't really cut it. For rivers and lakes, I'd probably choose the FS-17 and build it with a delta pad ala what PJ Piercey did with his FS 14 and the added pump. That boat would also work in the Sound most days, but it would be three feet too short quite a bit of the time and 10 feet too short some of the time.

Before our move, I was considering three boats that would be appropriate for the Sound/Strait: the C17 is a good choice as a center console, the OB 19 would work as well, but it would be a bit bumpier in the chop I'd think. The third boat is a bit out of the box--an OD 18 stretched to 20 feet while maintaining the same beam. Since I seldom ran my boats fast in a chop--25 mph was about it even with a deep vee--I'm thinking the OD 20 would work if it had really good spray rails.

This last group would also work well in lakes and the lower stretches of rivers where you're not really running into things, like the bottom.

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Lets leave off rivers and the straits. I am planning to mostly stick to south sound area. I appreciate the help guys.

Matt

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Hey Matt,

Glad to hear you're finally getting ready to build. Interestingly, I'm thinking of moving to WA as well... my brother is in Seattle and I don't have any ties to SD.

I occasionally keep an eye on the weather in the sound up there, my brother calls it "protected" but I think I know better... As you know I built the FS17 and fish it pretty hard around here, out to the islands and the rockpile even. It's a capable boat, but wet in any wind chop, let's say 10kts or more. Just my $0.02. I can handle it; any passengers may not like it so much. Keep us posted.

-Matt
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

kjackson
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kjackson »

The Sound is protected, but the trend in winds, especially in the fall and winter months (during the blackmouth season) is from the south, and that gives a long reach down the axis of the Sound. It does get rough. Generally, the Strait is OK in a south wind, but the westerlies are the usual trouble makers.

I fished for years in the eastern Strait from a 14-foot fiberglass skiff and had no serious issues with the weather. When it was too windy, I'd stay on shore, and in those kinds of winds nobody went out.

If I were to build for the Sound and lakes, I'd probably pick the FS17, although I'd think about spray rails and possibly increasing the freeboard a bit. But not having fished out of the boat, nor even seen it, I am just guessing. It would be quicker to build than a C17, which would be my first preference, and it would help you get on your way to the lobsterboat build you're considering.

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

whosmatt wrote:Hey Matt,

Glad to hear you're finally getting ready to build. Interestingly, I'm thinking of moving to WA as well... my brother is in Seattle and I don't have any ties to SD.

I occasionally keep an eye on the weather in the sound up there, my brother calls it "protected" but I think I know better... As you know I built the FS17 and fish it pretty hard around here, out to the islands and the rockpile even. It's a capable boat, but wet in any wind chop, let's say 10kts or more. Just my $0.02. I can handle it; any passengers may not like it so much. Keep us posted.

-Matt
Matt,

I am glad I made the move. Loving it up here so far. We do get the San Diego sunshine and it does rain often. But when its clear it is absolutely beautiful. I am hoping to start building as soon as we buy a house. Its looking like around August for the purchase, or that is when we will be looking to start putting in offers .
kjackson wrote:The Sound is protected, but the trend in winds, especially in the fall and winter months (during the blackmouth season) is from the south, and that gives a long reach down the axis of the Sound. It does get rough. Generally, the Strait is OK in a south wind, but the westerlies are the usual trouble makers.

I fished for years in the eastern Strait from a 14-foot fiberglass skiff and had no serious issues with the weather. When it was too windy, I'd stay on shore, and in those kinds of winds nobody went out.

If I were to build for the Sound and lakes, I'd probably pick the FS17, although I'd think about spray rails and possibly increasing the freeboard a bit. But not having fished out of the boat, nor even seen it, I am just guessing. It would be quicker to build than a C17, which would be my first preference, and it would help you get on your way to the lobsterboat build you're considering.

I am leaning towards the FS17 and may increase the freeboard. That would mainly be for the safety of my son. He is only a year old right now. Spray rails is also a must.

KJackson, I appreciate all of your input.

Matt

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Bowmovement wrote:
I am leaning towards the FS17 and may increase the freeboard. That would mainly be for the safety of my son. He is only a year old right now. Spray rails is also a must.

Matt
Sounds like a plan. Another thing to think about, rather than increasing the sheer, would be stainless railings. I definitely have those coming in the future for mine. You get increased safety while standing, or for the little ones, and something (besides the obvious) to grab onto while you pee :D

-M
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

BCbuoy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BCbuoy »

I'm loving the move too, Matt. I moved from the Northern interior of BC (Prince George). My first day here was May 6th in a new job, and there was still snow in the yard back home!

This whole discussion isn't helping me much--I really like the look of the FS17, and there are great salmon rivers here. I might need two boats too. I'm also hoping to get started around August, thought that depends on selling the old house first. we'll have to see--this is just the BBV foreplay I guess!