Pilot 19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Pilot 19

Post by justin_dwyer »

Hi Jacques,

I started measuring and cutting the stringers based on the nesting plans you have but realised they won't fit as you have them. I redrew them in CAD and I think they are shown incorrectly on your plans. I need 3 full 9mm sheets and the remander of the sheet that had frame F on it to have enough for the stringers (including the one that is missing from your nesting drawing). You have Frame B, Frame D, Berth Sole, Motor Well Bottom and a few other bits and pieces included on these 3 sheets, there is no way they will fit.

You might need to redraw the nesting plan and include a few more sheets in the BOM for future customers.

Cheers

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

When gluing the stringers together, do I need to fibreglass seam the joints to make two long pieces first, then glue them together. As the joints are staggered can I just glue the four pieces together without fibreglass?

Thanks.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

A
s the joints are staggered can I just glue the four pieces together without fibreglass?
Yes. :D

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I have been watching this post with some curiosity. I built a P19 in 2007. Although there were some mistakes on the 2-D drawings, they did not involve the stringers, which fit just right. One error to watch out for is the width of the deck pieces. The drawings I had did not allow enough width to cover the rub rail.

Those stringers are the main backbone of your hull. I would at least put biax on the outside of each joint or you will have weak points in the main structural component of your hull.

In defense of the drawings, I should remind everyone that these boats are not high volume devices. When I was working in a manufacturing environment, we put more money into checking drawings than the entire gross sales of a Bateau P19 design. I am just happy that there is someone who produces packages like these that allow me finish my own boat.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

ericsil wrote: One error to watch out for is the width of the deck pieces. The drawings I had did not allow enough width to cover the rub rail.
Your sure your upper panels didn't sag?

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Definitely not sag Peter. This was a constant 3/4" from bow to stern on each side in order to cover the width of the rub rail. I guess if you stop the deck inside the rub rail you would be OK; but I don't like the joint this leaves on the deck.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Thanks ericsil.

I think I will biaxial those stringers then glue them together.

I will also check the deck when I get there and redraw and measure them in CAD if need be.

Cheers for the heads up.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

I've been watching too.
Jacques has been great at respounding.
ericsil wrote:
One error to watch out for is the width of the deck pieces. The drawings I had did not allow enough width to cover the rub rail. Your sure your upper panels didn't sag?
Eric is right, I had the same problem, even more then 3/4", also with the side decks, it won't show if you re-draw in CAD unless you draw the rubrails too.

Justin, check out page 37 of my P19 build, (if I new how to attach the link I would) I show the correct nesting of the stringers, I also have them on CAD if you need them but sounds like you have that covered.Start a build thread, we need pics to satisfy our hunger! ha.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Hi Joe,
I had a good look at your P19 the other day when I was looking for pics. You did a good job. I just had a look at your stringer plan, looks very similar to what I drew :)

I will upload some pics and start my own thread, I'd be greatful for any help.

Cheers

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

looks very similar to what I drew
- 1 piece of stringer, :) .
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress