Justin's P19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Justin's P19

Post by Cracker Larry »

Rubber mallet is what I use. Sometimes I kick it too, but no reason you can't make it perfect :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Yep, I'll give it a kick and go for perfect. If it doesn't work I'll start it again. Too early to start making mistakes :)

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Kicked the shit out of it, but that didn't line everything up. :doh:

So I took it all apart and started again, I now have all the longitudinal distances from the transom to frame C within 2mm and the diagonal from transom to opposite corner on frame C is 7mm.

I can sleep now!
:)

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

I started again and now have some progress.

I have the jig almost ready, I just need to put up the bow piece, will do that after work today...hopefully.

I am still trying to source some decent marine ply for the hull. I did buy some, however I didn't look at it first....wont't make that mistake again. It was rubbish and I managed to send it back and get a full refund.

I will find some good stuff and then proceed.

My wife is due next weekend, so the build may grind to a hault for a while...although I'm sure I'll be able to manage an hour here and an hour there.

I'll try and get the hull together this weekend. Fingers crossed.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

The bow mold is very important in getting the tip of the bow in the right position. At least half the P19 and P21s on the site, including mine, have bow droop, from not pulling the tip of the bow close enough to the A frame. The plywood will resist taking this bend vigorously. You may need to do it over the course of several days, letting the wood relax in between. You will know when you get there, because the hull line will flow in a uniform curve toward the floor all the way to the tip. On that topic, I hope that the end of the frame is not going to interfere. That bow ends up very close to the floor.

You are off to a great start. Keep the cards and letters coming.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Thanks Eric,

I just drew up the bow mold and realised just that, the panels will come together on the strong back :oops:

I will brace the strong back near frame A and then cut the end off. Hopefully all the frames stay in alignment, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for your insite, I'll make sure I get a good shape there.

Cheers

vidar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by vidar »

Just jam a 2x4 crosspiece in there and add some triangles on each side (horizontally), and you should be fine. Use 12cm screws for the 2x4; you'll get a good grip then. After the triangles are in place, you can cut safely without anything moving. Perhaps not a bad idea to screw down a piece of ply at the center of the strongbacks to lock everything in place until you've started to glass. At least if the build won't get much done in the months to come. :)

Good luck with the baby! :) The boat too, of course.
There is a fine line between hobby and insanity...

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

OK, been a while since an update.

I have fixed the Bow Piece and got that installed.

I recieved my plywood and fibreglass, had to order it from interstate in the end.

I have cut and spliced the bottom panels and lifted them onto the jig. :)

But now I need some input from someone who has been at this step before :help:

Can someone please run through the process of fixing the panels to the jig to get the best shape possible (please provide as much detail as possible as I haven't done this before).

I started stitching the panels with zip ties, however when I got to Frame C the panels started lifting off the frames and caused a hook towards the stern.

While I understand the physics behind why this happens, how do I correct it for the hull. I know I need as little possible screws, etc to the jig so the wood can curve naturally.

I was thinking of screwing the panels to the transom (with about an 8mm gap at the keel, using small dowels) and then working my way forward and putting some crews somewhere about Frame C so that the keel is flat to here and then bending the bow end to the bow piece.

Do I fix the bottom to the jig and then hang the sides, or do I hang the sides to the bottom and then fix to the jig after that.

A bit confused :doh:

Also, I was going to get under the hull and run some tape (pvc tape) along the gap so that the glue doesn't run, is this ok?

I'd be appreciative of any help.

Thanks.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Once i had the bottom panels on the jig and lined up " pretty much where you are at right now " I put a finnish nail
in the center of all frames sticking up between the panels to keep a small gap. Make sure you have packing tape
on your frames anywhere there is going to be a seam , you dont want to glue it to the jig. I put two screws in each
bottom panel at the transom to hold everything in position . Looking at your jig you mite want to drill some holes in the bow mold
so you can pass the zip ties threw .
Image Snug up the ties along the keel so the
edges touch the nails " not to tight" dont worry about the bow yet. Hang your side panels, again line everything up
and put two screws in each panel at the transom to hold position , dont over tighten the zip ties at this time.
Image When you start the bow
start at frame A and work towards the bow as the panels get closer add more zip ties , tighten all ties a little at a time.
Keep working all around the boat to make sure everything is still lined up . Take you time dont force panels , let them
take there shape.
Novi 23 finally launched !

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Making progress slowly, I watch some of you other guys building like demons....you get yours up real quick. :)

I guess a newborn was always going to slow me down a bit. I suggested calling him "Windless", so he knew what his job was, but the wife wasn't so keen :lol:

I have got the bottom panels on and the lower side panels stitched to these, looks like there is a fine art to getting the shape just right.

I have put some screws in the bottom panels and the side panels at the transom to hold them in position with a small gap between each piece and have started working my way forward with the stitches. One side has a much better shape than the other, however I figure by the time I have gone all the way round the shape will correct itself (I hope). I ran out of time to finish yesterday as the little fella started to have a meltdown.

One thing I have noticed is that were the bottom panels come together at the bow (about frame B to A) it looks like the two meet with some force, I was thinking of putting a small dowl or something in to maintain the gap and so one panel doesn't slide over the other one.

Does this sound about right, or is it a sign there is something wrong somewhere?