Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Fitz 21 CC Transom Stringer Sole R&R

Post by Rickk »

Looking good. Those angles for the console are an interesting plan.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

I started working on the transom today. There is a lot of material wrapped over the top of the transom...
I had used straight epoxy and wood flour to cover some of the bolt holes and it also had some epoxy bottom paint to get through
It took couple of hours to get.through it all but it came along pretty good.
After rolling on a couple of coats of high build, she looks great i must say...I'll have the interior in primer in a day or two...
You are what you is! And I is Done!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

Nice work Fitz, you are getting there. What primer/paint are you using?

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

The S3 Silvertip high build epoxy. I have been thinning it a little and using a roller. I think it goes on a little heavier, but two coats like that and you can sand it nicely without burning through real easy. I really like it. I did the top and inside gunwales,and the entire floor and transom with just about a gallon. I need to order another gallon for the outside.

Question :doh: :help: I see comments that the Sterling is a much more resilient and glossy paint , but is a normal charcoal filter respirator enough for that while rolling and tipping, or do I need something more like a scuba setup?" What about if I SPRAY IT? does that require a high tech respirator? :doh: :help:

Another Question" :doh: :help: How long can I expect a dark color blue to hold up on the exterior? my boat will likely be under a carport most of the time, but I am a little leary of the dark colors in the Florida Sun.. :doh: :help:

Would the S3 be OK for the interior, or should I bite the bullet and go Sterling all the way around?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

is a normal charcoal filter respirator enough for that while rolling and tipping,
Yes, I'm not sure about spraying it though. It is some seriously powerful paint!
Would the S3 be OK for the interior, or should I bite the bullet and go Sterling all the way around?
I'd use almost anything except S3. It does not hold up well at all in the sun, and it doesn't look very good even when it's new, unless you use the KS8 method of 8 clear coats over it. I would rate Sterling at 10X better than S3. I've got both on the same boat, same age and I can prove which paint is best. When I get time and motivation, I've got a lot of S3 to strip off and repaint, a job I've been putting off now for 3 years and not looking forward to at all :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

I also use S3 primer and paint for the interior and i like it because is not that glossy. I also have the same question as Fitz. I wanted to use a glossier paint for out side like the Sterling, can i still use the S3 primer ?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, S3 primer is compatible with Sterling. It is great stuff!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Larry! I will probably just go with the sterling all the way around. I don't think it will be overly glossy on the inside mainly because of my lack of a mirror smooth surface.... :doh: :help: Another question though. I am planning on using the Kiwi grip on the top gunwale and sole, and will paint the rest. I know I need to paint first and then kiwi grip (correct?), but how much will the KIWI hide a little cloth patterning that the fairing putty didn't get? Should I go back and smooth out those areas more or is the kiwi pretty forgiving? :doh: :help:

I am pretty excited. I found a really nice motor on Ebay and will be picking it up this weekend. 2005 yammy OX66 200 in beautiful condition.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

great motor 8)
I know I need to paint first and then kiwi grip (correct?), but how much will the KIWI hide a little cloth patterning that the fairing putty didn't get? Should I go back and smooth out those areas more or is the kiwi pretty forgiving?
It will cover a little, but weave pattern can still be seen. You should at least skim over the weave with some "slurry", but you certainly do not have to fair it out perfect

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Thanks Shine. I did hit it with a thin skin coat, but noticed a few spots where you can see the 10oz weave a little still, no big deal to hit those spots again, I just figured the texture of the Kiwi would hide it as think as that is...
From what I have read, this breed of Yammy's was a great bunch....I hope it is as good as everyone says...I am pretty psyched to be at this point.