FL 14 in Florida Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FL 14 in Florida Build

Post by 94'325is »

After a lot of going back and forth, reading and more reading I decided the FL14 would fit my useage/budget the best. I drove down on 1/2/14 to Vero to pick up the supplies, I bought 6 sheets of 6566, the epoxy kit and an extra gallon of epoxy and 6oz 50" wide cloth to cover the bottom due to many beachings planned.

And it begins on Thursday 1/2:

That first day I cut the side panels and epoxied them:

The next day, Friday 1/3 I traced out the frames and transom.

Saturday 1/4 was the stitching and cutting out the bottom:

On 1/5 I was able to get the bottom stitched in and the epoxy fillets put in on the inside:

Hopefully throughout the week after work I'll be able to fill in the remaining gaps and get the inside glassed. This weekend the goal is to flip the boat and glass the outside/bottom.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FL 14 in Florida Build

Post by tech_support »

Thanks for posting the pictures, your making good progress. Seems like you just picked up that stack of wood a few days ago :)

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

I'm working on the fillets on the inside now. I ended up using way too much material so I am working on removing the epoxy with a rasp/grinder/sander and I was wondering if there was a general rule for how smooth the fillet needs to be before putting on the glass cloth. Also if there are seams that are hidden (inside of the transom) is it critical to smooth this for the glass to adhere properly or can I leave it roughly smooth and glass it since it won't be in a visible location.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If you work wet on wet, there will be no need to sand the fillets.

Knock down the high spots then, when you are ready to apply the tape, do a quick pass over the fillets with a putty slurry to fill the voids and apply your tape.
Sanding fillets is difficult, try to avoid it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

if you work "wet on wet" then the fillets do not need to be prefect. If you let them cure before glassing then any dip or protrusion will result in an air bubble in your glass

Vanagod
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Vanagod »

The exact thing that Shine mentioned happened to me. One option that was shared with me (I haven't tried it yet) is taping the entire outside of the chine with masking tape or duct tape. That will give the putty nowhere to sag out to.
-Aaron
"A-Ron the relentless"

Soli Deo Gloria
Semper Reformanda

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

You guys weren't kidding sanding the fillets was a pain. I ended up using a rasp to knock down the highest spots then followed up with a few passes with the random orbital and 60 grit. Ended up with smooth seams (like I should have had in the first place).

I taped the outside chine with duct tape and it worked really well, need to re-do a spot in the bow where the taped peeled off while curing but everywhere else it worked great.

Ive already learned a ton for the next build which will hopefully go smoother and quicker.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Stitch and Glue 101 in our How To section:
The Steps:

-Cut all the required fiberglass tape.
-Prime the plywood.
-Prepare putty: mix epoxy resin and woodflour to the consistency of peanut butter.
-Apply putty in all corners, work in one ?box? at a time.
-Apply the fiberglass tape over the wet putty and apply resin to the fiberglass.
-For a smooth finish, brush epoxy over the finished seam: no sanding will be required.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Seem to be coming right along.

Looks like my garage 3 years ago :)

Really like seeing the RC planes in the background (esp the Extra 230 (or 300?) of your pictures. Just like home except you seem to be more into flying than I've been for a while. Caution, this boat building can become be habit forming.

On the other hand building these monsters puts me into both hobbies.....

FL14 is a great little boat. Have fun and keep up the good work.

Bill
CT

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Nice sailboats!

Behind the wood is a 30cc Extra 300, 30cc Slick (modified edge 540), smaller electric slick and the one heap vertically was at one point a 50cc Yak 54.

Going to get the glass down on the inside tonight, hoping to be able to flip by the weekend and getting started on the outside.