Buying EMC Paints - Great Discount for forum member

technical support and information on EMC topcoats and coatings
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Buying EMC Paints - Great Discount for forum member

Post by tech_support »

We are selling the EMC products through Boatbuildercentral.com

In order to help introduce these products to our customers, we will be offering a very good :wink: discount. Use the coupon code "EMC" at check out to have the discount applied to your order.

Here is a link to the EMC section of Boatbuildercentral.com

EMC Products

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Buying EMC Paints - Great Discount for forum member

Post by pee wee »

It would be helpful if all the descriptions included the volume of the packaging.
Hank

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Right now its gallons unless specified otherwise, quarts will be listed soon.

JoelT
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JoelT »

This is probably a dumb question, but since I don't know, I'll ask anyway. :doh: How do I determine the amount I need? Is there a rule of thumb, as to how many square feet each gallon should cover? I don't want to purchase more than I need, but I do want to have enough to finish the job. Thanks

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

coverage is in the product data sheet here....

http://www.emcllc.net/pdfs/COSTAFLOW%2099%20TDS.pdf

3 mils at 250 to 270 square feet per gallon. that is about 2 good coats. Depending on what color you use, you might use more than one coat, and if you paint white over white primer, then you could use one coat.

There is a 30' +sail boat in a marina near us that used 1 quart to paint the whole hullsides 8O It was white on white and they just rolled it on with a roller

JoelT
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JoelT »

My boat is small and I was leaning toward using white, so a quart of base and a quart of activator. Do I need a brushing reducer, and if I do, is it available in quart size?

What paint should I use below the water line? Unless I'm missing something, which is not beyond the realm of possibility, all of the EMC paints are only for use above the water line.

Thanks!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

What paint should I use below the water line? Unless I'm missing something, which is not beyond the realm of possibility, all of the EMC paints are only for use above the water line.
no topcoat (Sterling, Awlgrip, EMC, etc.) paints are OK below the water line for extended periods of time. If your boat lives on a trailer, then its fine to paint the bottom with topcoat. 2 weeks or more in the water at one time will not hurt most of them either. If your boat will ive in the water, then you need a true bottom paint.
My boat is small and I was leaning toward using white, so a quart of base and a quart of activator. Do I need a brushing reducer, and if I do, is it available in quart size?
Yes, to all the above. We will be adding quarts of reducer to the store today :)

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

How much is the discount? You have to actually buy it to see what it is. If you don't want to say I understand.
I was considering using EMC or Awlgrip. The big price difference between the two systems seems to be the brushing activator. You can get Awlgrip in pints where EMC & Sterling you have to buy in quarts or gallons. Since I'm needing only a quart of paint/pint of activator for a GF16 that's a $60 waste of material.
Care to share any insight on the differences regarding ease of application between the two? If the ease of application of the EMC is worth buying the extra activator I may be inclined to do that. I can spray but I want to try roll/tip just for the mess factor and not having to mask off the whole garage basically.
Thanks
Gary
GF-16 Completed

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

you would see the discount before you finalize payment. ( Discount is 20%, i will remove this after you read it)
You can get Awlgrip in pints where EMC & Sterling you have to buy in quarts or gallons.
sterling brushing catalyst has always been available in pints

I have just added EMC brushing in pints.
I can spray but I want to try roll/tip just for the mess factor and not having to mask off the whole garage basically.

This is the cooler box I painted (rolled only) yesterday. just roll the EMC, no tipping.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Great, sounds like I'll be going with the EMC. Thanks Joel.
Gary
GF-16 Completed