VA - WV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VA - WV13

Post by Boost240sx »

So I have finally made enough progress worth a post but first a few questions.

I need suggestions on building a rod locker through the floor of the sole for surf landings. I need to cut holes in the frames so the compartments aren't sealed so I figured I would cut a square even to the floor, stringers and sole bottom. What about a lid, how do I make it keep the sole's curved shape?

Speaking of the sole I'd like to lower the sole at least and 1.5 or so. Anybody who has built one of these have dimensions for the sole in this lowered position? Figured I'd ask since it would save me a couple hours.

When cutting the storage for the aft compartment, is this much easier after the top is in place?

On to the build.

After a lot of resin...

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: VA - WV13

Post by pee wee »

Wow! That's looking really good. Is that glass tape on the seams, or did you fully glass the inside?
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The boat looks nice, clean fiberglass work.
Did you buy those puzzle joints panels from us? That looks very much like my puzzle pattern and size.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boost240sx »

That is just fiberglass tape on the seams, though I am considering putting a layer of glass on the bottom for extra protection. The extra weight trade off may not be worth it though.

My okoume had an extra couple inches past the last station line so I used a router to cut the puzzle then lined it up to the adjacent board. Traced the pattern and routed it out to fit.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Does that mean that you cut those puzzle joints yourself, with a router and a template or guide?

BTW, the nesting drawing shows the plates on standard panels that are 96" long (244 cm) but many Okoume panels are 98.375" (255 cm).

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's some fine router work on those puzzle joints 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boost240sx »

Thanks.

There was no template really, a pencil and a steady hand with the router. I used a cap to something random in the garage for the circle then sketched the fillets in.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is impressive. It is very difficult to cut those puzzle joints by hand, there is somewhere a web page about that by a guy who sells a steel router guide. There is also a Porter Cable dovetail template.

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

How did I miss this months ago? Very nice work. Makes my hatchet job on the ugly step sister look pretty bad (actually that's my fault, not yours, of course). Are you further (done?) now? Curious if you did side drains or drains at all. And if you are done, how it handles.

Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boost240sx »

Not done yet, it has been too cold for resin to kick off but my goal is to finish this before I start my cobia tower for the big boat and the offshore season is around the corner so I'm going to be kicking it in high gear soon.

I did manage to do a float test to see if I was happy with the height of the stringers and stability. I think I'm going to lower them 2" which should be high enough to still keep the scuppers above the water line and help with the stability but I'm still pondering the rod storage compartment similar to the one you did but going forward instead of aft.