AD16 19th November 2014

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

AD16 19th November 2014

Post by Salvatore »

G,day all I have launched my boat, she sails and handles better than I could ever have hoped. She is beutifully balanced sails like a charm my two friends own a 45 footer and have sailed many boats they are extremly impressed with the ballance, stability and performance. I was realy surprised as to how well she sailed to winward and sailing back home with the wind to our backs she raced allong. I am happy I added a jib and she would absolutly fly if sha had a small spinniker. Don't have many pics at the moment will try to get some with the sails up soon.
The first picture is of me and my wife Angelina, thats right I called the boat the same as my wife, they both create a lot of work and also can be a lot of fun :lol:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: AD16 19th November 2014

Post by Cracker Larry »

Congrats :!: Beautiful job 8) Glad to hear it sails well.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Great, nice boat, nice pictures and above all, I'm glad you like her.
I wasn't very enthusiast about the tabernacle mast but it looks like you engineered that properly.
Congratulations.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Congratulations on the splash and boat, great job have fun with her! 8) 8)

crackedconch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crackedconch »

Very nice!!!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

What great news, Salvatore! As you know I've been keenly following your build and couldn't be happier for you. Please send more updates and photos of your adventures.
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Here's a question about the tabernacle: I see the mast is secured by a bolt. After you raise it, however, I'm hoping the foot is sitting on a step and the mast is not merely held up by the bolt? If it is, I'd worry a little but it is an easy fix.

Also, you haven't told us the story of fixing the leak, or perhaps I missed it somehow.
Tony

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

G.day Jacques, I wanted to use the free mast I got of a hobie16, masts are expensive down here in Sydney Australia so I copied a design I saw on the net the tabernacle works well and the mast is easy to lift. I am very happy with the boat she is truly an excellent design, the main sail is per plan and the jib works well with it. I am surprised at how fast she moves in the water and she is very responsive, the lightest breeze moves her along and a 10 to 15 not wind brings her up to haul speed. Thankyou for a excellent design and for all your help. Salvatore :D

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

terrulian wrote:Here's a question about the tabernacle: I see the mast is secured by a bolt. After you raise it, however, I'm hoping the foot is sitting on a step and the mast is not merely held up by the bolt? If it is, I'd worry a little but it is an easy fix.

Also, you haven't told us the story of fixing the leak, or perhaps I missed it somehow.
The mast sits hard onto the seat of the tabernacle, the bolt does not do much it holds in place a 32 mm aluminium core that is in the tabernacle and the mast. The tabernacle is bolted in A frame that is bolted and glassed to a 3 by 2 timber brace.

The leak was a stupid mistake I made when installing the centreboard case it was slightly off level and when I straighten it I put a little crack in the resin. I fiberglased the inside of the cb case and the outside, she is all good now :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Excellent. I didn't think you'd make a structural blunder like that but had to ask. Well done on the leak :D.
Tony