OB 19 in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB 19 in Maryland

Post by Steven »

That looks familiar. :) Looking good. I just drilled an oversized hole, filled with epoxy putty, and then drilled a 1/2" hole for the drain. Clamshell on the outside. No plug. The drain is well above the water line. Since my anchor hatch is not water tight, I couldn't envision plugging the drain. I'm anal about not putting a muddy anchor in the locker, so I don't worry about it clogging and it's not that critical anyway. Can't hold much water if it stops up and clearing it would be easy enough. But it's a preference thing.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

That what I thought...Thanks Steven.

I'm sure I pulled that from my memory of reading your thread!

Mike

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

I did a little more work...trying to finish up the anchorwell...
I have the floor glued in and glassed, and put a coat of tinted epoxy on just to start.
Close up.

I still have some fairing to do, more tinted epoxy, drill the drain hole, and glue in the bow eye backing block but progress is being made. Slowly but surely!

crackedconch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crackedconch »

The build is looking good!! Watching your build is making me want to build one even more. I had the privilege at the last gathering of looking at wadestep's OB19 and getting to go for a ride on it. I have definitely been sold on one. Right now my wife and I are trying to save money to buy a house later this year, so no boat building for now. Plus I live in an apartment so I have no where to build one. So for now, I get to sit back and drool over everyone else's build. I am getting some good ideas and taking notes for later. Like the idea of glassing both sides of the wood. I might buy the plans this summer so I can start making notes on them.

Build on!!
Mike

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Just some ramblings to try to help:
1) the top of the anchor locker (ie the bow deck) will probably need some type of reinforcement. You are going to be standing up there at times for sure, and cutting a large hole in it for anchor access. I also put a large fore-aft hole up there for an oversized pop-up cleat. I had to get creative with the reinforcement around that pop-up cleat. let me know if you want any pictures.
2) the anchor locker hatch - I think you are building the boat per plans with the camber up there. If so, really need to consider how you are going to keep the camber in the hatch. Not difficult, but have to put extra plywood there to keep the camber in the hatch door. I had to come up with a complicated system of suspended of 2x4s to pull the support plywood up into the camber of the hatch while it was being glued up. It ended up working fine.

3) I also sloped the anchor locker 'sole' forward like you and Steven. Ditto what Steven said, just clamshell, no plug needed.

4) my console is 31.5" wide. It's fine for moving around. I have standard-width side decks. I don't recommend a wider console. 30" would be fine. The seat in front of the console is narrower, because the boat starts narrowing there.

5) I also have my fuel under the console. It works well and doesn't change the attitude of the boat full to empty.

your boat is looking excellent. congrats!
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks Mike and Wade for the kind words...It definitely is starting to feel like I am making some pretty good progress. Now if I only had more time!

Wade...I want to respond to your comments

1. I had not thought about any reinforcements up there but I want it to be strong. I am only planning on a standard cleat and lights up there. I will probably put 2 support cleats running fore to aft on either side of center line to avoid the cleat backing block.
2. I was planning on putting the hatch on the vertical face of the anchor locker bulkhead (either store bought or homemade). I am doing this to avoid engineering the hatch with the camber and for cleaner lines.
3. ok
4. I will try to keep the console around 30 inches wide
5. good to know

Steven

Post by Steven »

I didn't put camber in my front deck, but I did reinforce it. A center support like this might help with the camber too, but you'd have to plane the top of the support with some camber. The support is dimensioned to 3/4 x 2 with some 3/4 x 3/4 cleats on either side. If you use 3/8" ply, covered with glass and with the camber, it's probably not necessary but good insurance. I have my anchor hatch on top, so definitely was needed.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks for the info Steven...The picture also helps, although I have been through your build thread and Wades thread probably a million times. One question. You mentioned using 3/8 in. ply for the bow deck top. I'm pretty sure the plans show that piece and the motorwell decks being cut out of 1/4 in.. I actually cut those pieces out this weekend out of the last piece of full ply I have left which was 1/4 in.. Do I need extra reinforcements? I am planning on putting the hatch for the bow deck on the vertical part of frame A and the motorwell hatches in the vertical face of that frame as well, so more reinforcements wont be in the way of anything.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

I got a little more work finished this weekend.

I cut out the side deck frames and mocked them up in the boat to cut out rod holders. Then I glued and fiberglassed them in place.
Port Side Deck Frames
Starboard Deck Frames

They look a little messy but they will clean up nicely.

I also added 2 frames in between the specified ones. I believe this was done on some of the OB19's that have been built. The gap between frame B and C was over 4 feet so I felt this was a good idea. It did not add a lot of work so why not.

I'm still making progress...a little at a time! :D

Mike