Teak Veneer Beer-pong table and cornhole boards. Help?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
dpshack9
New Poster
New Poster

Teak Veneer Beer-pong table and cornhole boards. Help?

Post by dpshack9 »

New to the forum. I don't know how I haven't stumbled across this before but I'm happy I found it!

Here's my story. I am a Junior at Virginia Tech majoring in engineering. However I am NOT a mountain man. I am from Greenville NC. Okay, don't laugh at this part....Going into my sophomore year I wanted to start playing with some teak so I thought, "Why not build a beer pong table that represent my coastal roots?" The following was produced.

The table was a big hit at school. Everyone loved it and wanted to know where I bought it from. I was generally happy with it however I never got the glass finish on the top that I was looking for. This was my first try at planking teak and definitely learned a lot.

I built my structure out of some left over fir and juniper. Then I cut my teak strips. I used epoxy to glue the strips and everything was going great. I then used west marine's BoatLIFE black teak caulking. I sanded it down and began to apply several coats of spar varnish. After probably eight coats of varnish and sanding I was still getting elevations where the caulking was. My assumption is that the caulk is expanding and contracting with the temperature and will never form flat with the teak. I have looked into using graphite and epoxy but I'm trying to save weight.

Here's where my question comes in. What is the best way to achieve a mirror finish?

I am currently working on some cornhole boards and I want to get it right this time.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Teak Veneer Beer-pong table and cornhole boards. Help?

Post by bigtalljv »

Welcome. those look really nice. You might check this thread, http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=860

Larry is building a boat that has the exact same construction.

Jason

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Here's another thread that may be helpful. He used tinted epoxy instead of a flexible caulking.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=260
Hank

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Here's where my question comes in. What is the best way to achieve a mirror finish?
encapsulate with epoxy, then the ST clear gloss from EMC.

those are pretty slick drinking accessories :!:

dpshack9
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dpshack9 »

Thanks for the response guys. Looking forward to working on these when I get home.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, teak beer pong and cornhole tables 8) That has to be expensive! Very nice though.

I don't think that will happen using the Boatlife caulk in the seams. It is designed to expand and contract with the weather, and with the wood's expansion and contraction. For a mirror finish I would fill the seams with graphite/ epoxy, and as Joel said, encapsulate the entire thing with epoxy, then the EMC clear coat over it for UV protection.

Since they won't be exposed to weather and foot traffic like they would on a boat deck, that should work great.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

if you want to have lines (white or black) between your bright finished teak strips I would recommend using a pigmented epoxy like I did for the runabout deck....

you clear coat over the entire thing to make one surface.

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc »

Similar solution to Joel on my boat..
base is 12 mm ply.
on top 10 mm mahogany strips are epoxy laminated with 0.5cm gap
filled with epoxy and white epoxy powder (don't know the English name)
after curing complete, sand and several coats of polyurethane varnish with UV protection is applied..

to compare both you can see the deck where in between the strips, Sikaflex 292 (or 290) was applied.

Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

dpshack9
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dpshack9 »

Thank you the responses. I know I can get a hold of graphite through Paxton, Im not sure about black pigment. I know that the graphite cures more grey and you can see the grains, so I am curious about the pigment. I'd prefer a more solid color.

Im trying to master laying teak (at least to some degree) by I time I build my first first sportsfisher. :wink:
Cracker Larry wrote:Wow, teak beer pong and cornhole tables 8) That has to be expensive! Very nice though.
Someone gave me several 5' planks and a few scrap pieces. I didnt spend a lot of money. We have enough scrap laying around. Thats why the legs are the aluminum pedestals from some old Todd seats.