28 BERTRAM OUTBOARD CONVERSION

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 28 BERTRAM OUTBOARD CONVERSION

Post by peter-curacao »

DAYTRIP wrote:You think side door or tilt the front?
What are you planning under there?
Cool looking console 8)

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks Peter. Only real plan is a head and storage.

Added battens total and started planking it with foam. Found that laying it 45 degrees to the curved edge worked
Best. I put the bagging material that I use for vacuum bagging between the battens and foam so I won't get into a sticking problem. Once I plank it I was planning on mixing up some glass bubbles to fill the gaps and stiffen things up. Then I can doing a light fairing. Next a couple mat skins. Do a bit of leveling with bubbles then do a biax.

What do you think about that Joel :doh:

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

DAYTRIP wrote:Thanks Peter. Only real plan is a head and storage.
If you are going for a head I would choose a front tilt (hydraulic or electric) for easy access, if it's only storage definitely for a side door, much easier and less chance of leaks.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Here is a thought on the top/tower layout. Have not decided if I would do a driveable tower or just an observation tower but either way they would be similar. Let me know what you guys think.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

I think that looks real good, not sure about the 90 degree front at the console though

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks Peter. There is a pod that angles out for the steering, throttle and gauges. The vertical part would be electronics only. Agree that it may need some tweaking.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

This is my latest thought on access into the console. I am trying ot achieve a couple things and I think this gets it done. First, I would like to have the helm on centerline. Next I would like to have space to step down. I would like to enter the tallest part of the console. I would like ot maximize the door width. I would like as straight of a shot into the console as possible for rods or other long items. Finally having the openning under the top is a benifit as Joel pointed out. Basically I will built the console then carefully cut this piece out that would become the door. I would then build a jamb to act as a stop and water seal.

Got the balance of the mold plank out. Couple little patches to deal with. Then some shaping and filling

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Started to fill the gaps in the foam where it has opened up as it bends. Used resin and glass bubbles. Found that a syrup consistency worked best as I could paint it on and not close the gaps as I was trying to get the mix in there. I will do a quick sanding and then another coat to fill it completely. By that point I should be ready for a skin of glass.

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

its a lot of work :!: try to keep the filler putty inside the gaps and not so much build up on the top of the foam. Ideally you want the glass bonding to that foam and not microballoons

Your family must really like ice cream :)

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Classic. I was thinking" why would he say we like ice cream?". My father in law gets those kill wens buckets at the shop when they are done with them. I must have 20 of them! They are good for garbage cans or tool bags or mixing containers.

My plan is to sand off most of the bubbles on the surface between coats. I will have some low spots though. You think I should fill on the foam or on the glass?