GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by jacquesmm »

Jim_Davisson wrote: Builders here might benefit from a section on the forum that gives similar bateau boats/motor size/and prop that worked best. Imagine if everyone posted under each boat style their individual results with there motor size and prop? Not wanting to hijack the thread, but a thought....

A very good thought and I started working on that 2 weeks ago.
For some boats, I added a "reviews" section to the study plans. Look at the OD18 for example, at the bottom of the page:
http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/OD18_s ... ?prod=OD18
I have to work on the link . . .
It is a big job to go through the forum posts and find that data but I'll keep doing it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Ha, mercs prop selector gave me basically the same thing. Two choices both 9.25 dia in a 9p and 10p...go figure.... :doh:
I also called a local prop shop and they recommended the same powertech prop that powertech did....
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

It's possible your current prop isn't what it says it is. I've had the pitch on aluminum props changed before and did not re-stamp the prop. Stuart propeller or Bobby Soles can tell what pitch your prop is.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Ask them if they are willing to exchange it for one with more pitch after a 30 minutes test.
When I worked for Cigarette, we did the math (and we knew the boats) but if the engines were just a little bit different, the final prop selection was done after testing. In 50% of the cases, we were close with the formulas but not perfect.
In this case, that flat bottom boat should go well above 25 mph. It is not right to redline at such a low speed.

Oops, just saw the post by Walker's Run, it makes sense.
But there is also Cracker Larrr who has experience with the same boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Mine would run about 33 mph with a medium load, 25 hp 2 stroke Merc and a 15" pitch stainless, I think it was a Michigan Wheel prop. Don't remember the exact style. Nothing radical.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Walkers Run wrote:It's possible your current prop isn't what it says it is. I've had the pitch on aluminum props changed before and did not re-stamp the prop. Stuart propeller or Bobby Soles can tell what pitch your prop is.
True, I hadn't thought of that either. I talked to Blair Propeller and Marine in Stuart today. Jacques mentioned Bobby Soles as well maybe I will check with them. He is also a Powertech dealer. Powertech does offer an exchange program for a $30 restock fee. That can get expensive quick :help:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Ken at Propgods is fantastic to deal with.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I went with the Powertech recommended but upped the pitch to 10" over the 9" that was initially recommended and I'm glad I did. The top speed increased to 26.5 mph @ 5990 rpm and cruise at 20 mph @ 4800 rpm. If I would have went with the 9" I'm pretty sure I would have been into the limiter and that would have really pissed me off. :lol: That was with me and the wife. I didn't run it alone. I was hoping to get closer to 30 at wot but I'm still really happy with it.
I even poled it a little today :D
Thanks for all of the advice :!:

Gary
GF-16 Completed

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Noles,
26.5 out of a 16 foot boat with only 20 hp sure seems good to me. I bet the gas mileage is really good also. One of those run all day on a 6 gallon can type of boats.
Fuzz

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Yeah Fuzz, I forgot to mention that. I have 4 1/2 hrs of running and haven't been through one 3 gal tank yet. There isn't a whole lot left in it though.

Question about fuel/water separators, I have a station that sells non ethanol fuel about 2 miles from my house and plan on only running that fuel. Would ya'll still run a fuel/water separator?
Last edited by Noles309 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
GF-16 Completed