Craigslist -deals-

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Craigslist -deals-

Post by snookiehunter »

:doh: I'm trying to find a decent used ob for my gf18 w/ tunnel. I have little experience with outboard engines. I'm looking for a Yamaha f-70/60, or a 3 cyl two stroke. I don't have a strong preference between two/ four strokes. They both have their own advantages. That issue has been beaten to death, and then some. My main concern is weight/ power ratio on like engines. 4s yamaha is 270 lbs vs 4s Suzi at 350 lbs. I found a 2002 DF 70 for $2800, with control box. Looks like a reasonable deal, for a clean motor. My preferred Yamaha is a hard one to find, especially around this time of year. When I find one, they want top dollar for it.I passed up a professionally rebuilt (with proof) F60 last summer, with 300 hrs, with a hyd jack plate. All for $3000. I regret it now. I need to pick/ find a motor soon, in order to make other decisions and progress in my build. I'm tempted to jump on this deal, and have an engine. I guess my main concern is hanging another 80 lbs on a jack plate, because I'm being impatient. I also havn't considered prop choices/ avail. bc I have no clue what I'll wind up needing. I know Jorge had a rough time with his F70, and light XF20. My GF18 is heavy, so I'm only guessing that my prop requirement will be easily obtained.
So, just thinking out loud here. Opinions please! I need advise from all my buddies on here that have more experience than I do. :doh:

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Craigslist "deals"

Post by Noles309 »

http://www.smalloutboards.com/m99.htm#60elpt Its a Merc but looks like a decent deal with warranty.

I got my motor off of Craiglist. I got a real good deal on it. I did have to put some money into it to get it right though. You should probably plan on that I would imagine.

PS. I didn't forget the hatch pulls. I can only find two of them, I know I had three...
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

My GF18 is heavy, so I'm only guessing that my prop requirement will be easily obtained.
It couldn't be any heavier than the one we built, and it runs like a scalded ape with a F90. 17 pitch prop. On a jackplate. I was concerned about the weight also, but the boat handles it fine and has good trim.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

I was comparing to Jorge's Xf20, in regards to prop selection with the tunnel. I wish I could find a F70. Or, I had new motor money! :roll:
Hey Noles, no worries on the hatch pulls. I won't need them for a few months, I'm sure. And thanks again.

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

CL things... before you read know that I'm not inherently trusting...

I'd ask the seller to cold-start it in front of you. Check the motor beforehand to make sure it's cold. An OB in good condition will usually light right up. Others here can advise on things like prop play in rotation and longitudinal if you're concerned about it (I would be).

A seller can slap a cheap aluminum prop on the OB to try to improve its overall condition but skegs don't lie. Look for evidence of repainting. Ask if there's even been a hard strike or grounding in their ownership. Right after you look at it, look at the seller and ask if they've had a hard strike or grounding. Their reaction will tell you a lot. I'd personally avoid a 2nd hand OB with a fin add-on. I've seen them installed just fine, working great and some here swear by them. YMMV and this is a personal preference after seeing a few bad installs.

Things like 1-2 SS props included are a big bonus - look around the seller's garage casually. Sometimes people have spares sitting - ask if they come with the motor or use it in negotiation. Controls should also be in very good shape as they're not cheap to replace. If they look like !@(# when you buy them chances are they'll look the same on your new boat... Obviously looks are just the beginning... if PT&T is part of the motor it MUST work IMO.

IDK what FL is like for titles but here they're a pain if lost. It's to the point where TBH it isn't worth your time.

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm uneducated in this matter, and need all the advise that I can get.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Your prop will depend on what motor and final weight of your OD18 with the crew and all the add on gear figured out. Don't worry about it right now. We can work out that later when you are about ready to launch when you have every thing on the boat and the jackplate and motor mounted. Don't try to figure a prop based on someone else's boat, the motor and weights are going to be different affecting what prop should be put on your boat.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Noles309 wrote:http://www.smalloutboards.com/m99.htm#60elpt Its a Merc but looks like a decent deal with warranty.
So, I've decided on this motor. Thanks Gary. It is a Mercury 60 hp ELPT 4st Bigfoot. I've done a lot of digging around on these guys, (AFA Marine, in St Pete) and people are satisfied with them. Their "fish camp motors" are returns from outdoor resorts in Canada. They seem to be in very good condition, many with remaining factory warranties. I should have it in two weeks. I'll post my thoughts.
I feel like a little kid, on Christmas Eve......

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Sweet! That is a great looking motor. I was keeping an eye on it to :D
Gary
GF-16 Completed

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Craigslist -deals-

Post by snookiehunter »

Yeah. Honestly, I am very nervous. I spent 5k, and I have never seen the motor. It wasn't at the shop in St Petersberg. It is up in Canada, somewhere near Niagra Falls. It is likely not the one in the picture. They aparantly have several of them, so I'm sure you can still get one. If you wait two weeks, I'll let you know if it's a real motor, or just a cardboard cut out..... :doh: