Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

Post by snookiehunter »

I decided on the Mercury 60 Hp Bigfoot. It showed up today. I purchased it from AFA Marine, in St. Pete. It is everything that they promised it would be. It is very clean, and looks like a new motor. It looks like they made some type of skeg repair, or at least touch up painted it. There is one scratch on the cowling, but I can live with it. It beats Craigslist "deals", for sure. I paid $4895, plus $475 shipping, including a $75 lift gate charge, from Ontario, Canada. No sales tax, so that nearly paid for the shipping. I am anxious to run it, and will try this weekend. The warranty is up, this fall, so I NEED to run it, soon.
ImageImage

I built a bracket, out of laminated plywood, and mounted it on an old engine stand. Once on the stand, I was able to get some measurements. I built the transom 24" tall, so the top of the transom is 20" above the top of the tunnel. This Bigfoot motor has two anti-ventilation plates. I'm guessing that the bigger of the two is "it". It is 21-1/4" from the top of the transom. This, I think, will work out well. It will put the av plate 1-1/4" below the top of the tunnel. When the jp is down, the prop to be well submerged for reverse. At aprox. 3" up, the water inlet holes will be under the top of the tunnel. Without knowing what to expect from the tunnel, I don't know if I can run any higher. So, this looks like I'll start with a 4" jp. When I looked at the Bob's Machine website, it didn't specify how much rise each jp has, only the set back. I'm thinking 4' set back is a good place to start. That outta get me plenty skinny.

Also, I kept the packaging so if anyone needs it, let me know.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Looks really sweet snookie, so clean. 8) They tell you how many hours are on it?
Gary
GF-16 Completed

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Thanks, Gary. They sent an inspection check sheet with it, along with the owners manual, and mounting bolts. The engine hours was listed at 266 hrs. The motor is very clean. Now I just need to get everything together so I can run it on the stand.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Nice!
Gary
GF-16 Completed