FS19 in Washington State

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS19 in Washington State

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks, the orderdesk filed a claim and we will replace the damaged part.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

The kit came last Friday along with my wife's sister from Brazil. That blew the weekend but we started on Monday and had all the parts including the molds cut out by Wednesday morning. Here are some pics of the The good pieces and the left overs

Cut out plywood peices

Cut out Nida Core pieces

Leftover stuff

More leftover stuff.

Now comes the big decision, can I throw some away?

Comments?
Tim

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wouldn't throw anything away yet, you will use them for many small parts as you progress.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

I searched the forum and couldn't find any specifics for the use of GelMagic. I know its used for the transom, how about the stringers. Are there any other uses?
Tim

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

GelMagic is a glue and we use it anywhere we need glue like gluing layers of plywood together: stringers and transom mostly but also butt blocks. It is used for wood assemblies like consoles and benches.
We sell a lot of it to cold molded boat builders.
To use it is so simple that it does not need a tutorial: mix the components 2 to 1 and the glue is ready.

For our small boats, many builders use resin mixed with wood flour instead of GelMagic but for larger boats, building and repair, GelMagic makes sense.
Gelmagic is a stronger glue than wood flour epoxy and is required for layering transom foam like our Aquaplas.

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

Sister in Law left yesterday early for Brasil so we started working again today. Finished gluing up the transom with the GelMagic and laid out the stringers for tomorrow. In mixing the GelMagic I noticed the instructions say not to mix up more than you can use in 10 minutes. Pretty tough to do with a transom the size of this one. Had one mistake, first part to which we applied the glue was the transom with the engine cut out. We applied the glue to the whole thing and not just the area covered by the clamping boards. We didn't notice until the next day after it had set. I guess sanding will be the best way to get it off or at least smooth.

Tim

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Sand it smooth!

You'll glass over it later in the build - nobody will ever know! :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It depends on the temperature but 10 minutes is the pot life, not the working time, not the open time.
Once the glue is spread over the part, you have at least 30 minutes.
In 10 minutes, you can mix let's say 12 oz., quickly pour it over the part and then you have 20 minutes or more to spread it with you notched spreader.

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

Made some progress today, got one of the stringers glued together. Our intention was to do both but after the first it didn't look like we had enough of the GelMagic left to do the second. I found a source locally where I can buy it tomorrow at a 20% premium. Here's a picture of the first one.

Tim

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

Got the other stringer done yesterday, Today we did the bottom panels. The puzzle cuts seemed to go quite well, for a while we almost beat it to death, you would hit it one place and another place would move. We found out that a slight pressure would push it back into place, I guess that's why the weight on top. Here's a photo of the two bottom panels done and curing. They sure are long, it over laps the 16 foot strongback quite a bit on both ends.

Tim