Canoe for hunting small waterways

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Canoe for hunting small waterways

Post by Cracker Larry »

How about the PY12? I live right down the road from you in Clyo, GA, thinking about building a little creek boat myself and that is on my list.

Welcome to the forum :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

aarolar
New Poster
New Poster

Post by aarolar »

I do like that one have you found anywhere local around here for good plywood?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No, there is nothing decent locally that I would build a boat with. By the time you invest epoxy, glass, other stuff, expendables, plus your time, you won't save $100 by using cheap plywood. Use the good stuff that will last. I order mine from here at Bateau. Can't beat the price or quality anywhere. I've bought 100 sheets here and never seen a bad one. Shipping is only about $100 total to a freight terminal in Savannah. Maybe we could combine an order and split the shipping?
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I might be in on that order if the timing is right (I'm in Beaufort). I'm not sure when I'm going to commit to a build though. Something about fear of flying frying pans...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

We could sure do that Jaysen. I'm not in any hurry. Sometime this fall. I only need 3 or 4 sheets. If we could split shipping 3 ways it would be negligible.

gatorgrizz27
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gatorgrizz27 »

If you plan to jam it up in the reeds or grass mats and shoot out of it as a blind, many of the existing plans will work. If you want to be able to jump shoot ducks as you paddle through the creeks, you're going to need something wider. The problem is, to get something that feels really stable to someone not used to paddle craft, it's going to be very slow, unless it is 17-18' long, in which case weight and maneuverability become problematic.

Jacques' comment about a flat bottom not always being more stable can be true, as flat bottom boats typically won't draft as much water as rounded or v-bottom boats. This can make your center of gravity higher as less of the boat is submerged.

From my experience, bottom width is the greatest factor for stability in hand-built boats, as we aren't doing to more complex hull shapes like mini pontoons, etc. For a boat stable enough to shoot out of, you will want at least a 30" bottom, 31"-32" would be better. For a boat to be fast and efficient, with a lot of "glide" you want a length:width ratio of 7:1.

My pirogue is 14'3" long with a 25" wide bottom and it is much faster than production boats I've been in. It's actually too fast for thick swamps, as a half hearted single stroke will glide you 50 yards right into a tree, there are no brakes. :lol: I can stand in it but it is a balancing act and requires concentration, I have yet to shoot from it without sitting in brush. I built another that was 16' long with a 27" bottom and it was more stable but not massively so, and the extra weight was noticeable when accelerating, glide factor was nearly the same.

If you won't be dealing with wind and current, and aren't in a hurry to get where you're going, a Cheap Canoe widened to 32" will do the job. Maneuverability is another trade-off determined by rocker and the amount of weight you will carry. For good tracking, you want the bow and stern just barely submerged. For good turning you want the bow and stern slightly out of the water to allow the boat to spin around it's middle. My boat has 2" of rocker and it's perfect for rivers but not quite enough in the swamps, 3" would be better. The increased maneuverability will be worth it for you and as your boat will paddle slowly you will be fine using smaller, lighter strokes which will help it track straighter than really digging in and pushing hard for speed.