making a fuel tank

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
anonymous

making a fuel tank

Post by anonymous »

Am thinking of making my own fuel tank ( of fiberglass and epoxy). Any good threads out there on the subject? thanks.

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph »

You might want to read this guys experience: http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/ Specifically pages 17,18, 27 and 36.

The bottom line is that much gasoline has some portion of ethanol in it and epoxy is not compatible with ethanol. After reading his experiences I would not do it.

Ralph

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

There is a fellow here who does custom aluminum fabrication, though... If you're interested, please let us know and I will post a link to his web site for you.

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: making a fuel tank

Post by Rick »

Leif Yeckley wrote:Am thinking of making my own fuel tank ( of fiberglass and epoxy). Any good threads out there on the subject? thanks.
Epoxy tanks are compatible with diesel fuel. How about repowering your OB17 with a big ol' Caterpilar?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Now that would be interesting. I wish I could put a small diesel in my PH16, with a jet drive 8O :D