New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New AD14 build

Post by waytootall »

I recently received my plans for an AD14 and am starting the process of a build. I am a boat building amateur. I am an engineer and general do-it-yourself-er so this is a good stretch of my abilities and a necessary hobby to keep me busy when not acting a a chauffeur for my kids. I have read many of the current AD14/16 build topics and appreciate all the tips and trick and I look forward to receiving more as I go along with my build. Since I am such a novice I am taking it slowly and purchasing materials as I go. I am lucky to live only ~45 minutes from Bateau so I can piecemeal material purchases.

I started with the centerboard as a practice piece using Home Depot Marine grade plywood. I learned why I shouldn't use it when trying to plane/sand the profile in.

Here is the edge profile:

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New AD14 build

Post by waytootall »

Since that went OK I went ahead and purchased the 1/4inch plywood sheets for the hull. I went with the Meranti since I would like to finish as much of the boat bright as possible and I preferred the grain on the Meranti (and it is cheaper). Here are the sides jointed together:

As you can see I am working in my garage so space is cramped. I built my jig with wheels to roll it out into the driveway to work as much as possible the same as others on this board. Here are the bottom panels stitched and setting in the jig:

I made the same mistake as others and under-built my jig frame so that I had all sorts of trouble with the bottom not supporting my weight when I tried to work inside the boat later. I had to re-build the frame (and the center joint of the boat) several times with the boat on the jig which was not easy. Follow other's advise and build the jig with very solid supports at all the station frame locations plus some.

I wheeled the setup into the driveway work the epoxy tabbing and fiberglass.

The whole family is involved so I had my 12 year old making tape the bottom seam prior to applying epoxy since she fit under there far better than I. If I had that to do over again I would use far stronger tape since I had a LOT of leakage of epoxy through the joint and onto my driveway which I didn't cover with plastic.

Here is the hull with the seams tabbed and the battons in:

Here is the hull after the first coat of 12oz biaxial fabric. I used painters tape to help hold up the fabric on the sides. I now need clean up the edges going up the sides, sand the bottom, apply another epoxy coat to the bottom and to the sides.

I am trying to figure out exactly where the centerboard trunk should be located so I can mark the hole to cut, but I can't figure it out yet.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'll be following your build with interest. Love the pictures and your daughter seems happy enough in a difficult task.
Are those light areas in the middle of the boat in the bottom picture just a result of lighting? It looks like they may be starved of epoxy.
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

The light spots are a mix. In the center of the boat it is reflections off the light but on the sides and edges there are areas light on epoxy. This is a first for me. I have worked a lot with epoxy grout on tilework previously but this behaved a bit differently and I had trouble reaching some spots without epoxying myself to the hull. So I have a few patches to apply to bubbles I didn't get out and another coat (or two) of epoxy to apply.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

When it comes to filler when making up the bog I used a belt sander and clamped it in place then sanded a lot of left over parts of my good ply into dust it mixed well and made real strong bog to fill in cracks. If you when out of that I got a whole bag from Home Depot for free where the cut the wood just a tip

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Welcome to the AD14 club, you are moving very fast and I wish you all the best for your build. I started my AD14 in October 2013 and will splash it next Summer. You most probably will beat me in finishing yours before me like Salvatore did from downunder.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Thank you das boot and gonandkarl. I have read many of your posts to help me figure out what I am supposed to do so hopefully that will cut down on some of my mistakes and allow me to make brand new ones :). I do have a couple of questions if anyone knows the answers:

Are we supposed to fibergalss all the interior surfaces of the buklheads? The notes say to fibreglass but I am not certain if it just means to fiberglass them at the joints with the hull, or everywhere.

How do you locate the centerboard trunk on the hull bottom? The diagram doesn't give measurements to the location of the trunk, it only shown the locations of the bulkhead frames. I had seen an inserted picture fome someone's post that showed a metric version of the stations drawing that included what look like measurements to the CB trunk, and read where Jaques said he would post a plan update but my enginsh version of the drawings doesn't have it and I don't see a plan update.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
The bulkheads ( frames ) should be taped to the hull on each side.

I also had a problem with the position of the centreboard trunk itself and the position in the boat.

The trunks front position in the boat is 408 mm in my metric version from frame B forward towards the bow

I got the following pictures from Jacques in the trunk discussion of 2013 in which you can read it all up. I am not sure if the non metric version has the same measuring problem:
Bow to A is 833 , A to B is 855, B to C (bottom frame) is 936 and C to T is 1807. It was very confusing for me because on plan D264/4 was only a measurement from frame B to the vertical point below the top of bulkhead C ( B to C is 686 ) which is apparently slanted in the boat from the baseline up.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p338873

This picture is the best to get the trunk itself correctly constructed, note the measurement 272 which is missing 2 pictures earlier:

I hope you are not as confused thru my explanations as I was 1/2 years ago and it might help you.

Greetings from Karl (Austria)
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thank you Karl, that is correct.

The frames are taped to the hull but not completely fiberglassed.
They are entirely coated with epoxy.

The CB trunk is located by the frames. Set your frames and the trunk fits in between.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I glassed all of mine inside and out a tip on glassing so you do not end up with air bubbles 1 cut you glass to fit the area 2 paint the area with epoxy quite thickly 3 lay your glass onto the epoxy 4 rool it out with a small rooler socked in epoxy 5 I used playing cards they work well to squeegee off the excess epoxy This leaves you with the glass well bonded to the wood and gets rid of the extra epoxy