FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS 17 Build

Post by Parkrat »

So.. I went ahead and mounted frames A through E. I haven't cut the transom, but I think I'll be exactly off between E and the transom once I cut the motor well sides. I'm thinking I measured wrong from A.

The notes say to measure 36" from bow side A to bow side B. Not thinking... I measured from the edge of the strongback to bow side B. This would explain being off. I'm temporarily using 1/2" MDF for A. I need to remeasure from bow A to bow side B and pretty much start over ..right? I also need to take in account the 1/8" difference since A will be 3/8 ply later on. Am I thinking right? Sorry.. been fighting Christmas lights all day and I might not be thinking right. :lol: :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If you made a mistake locating the frame, just move it. Why recut?
And don't worry about the thickness too much, it's not going to make any difference in the shape of the hull.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

I wasn't going to recut anything. I had planned on moving them frames back 1/2" or so. Thanks for the reply. I figured I was overthinking. :)

Good news is when I had all the frames up everything was square and level!

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

So.. it looks like my strongback has warped a little. Everything was square and all the frames matched a long the center. I went out and moved the frames back and as i looked down the center they weren't all aligned anymore :( We have been getting a lot of rain here and I wonder if my 2x6s are changing shape.

Maybe I'm too OCD, but I can't have it this way. :lol: It was so perfect!

I took them all off and the 2x6s on the bow end have curved a little. A little in the middle too. I'm going to figure out a way to get them straight again!

Just wanted to vent.

Here is a pic before..

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I would guess its the PT wood. That stuff is usually real wet around here.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

When I built my strongback I placed plywood on the upper surface and used the plywood for measurement assuming it would be more stable. It also provides a good surface for assembling the long-hull pieces.
Tim

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Noles309 wrote:I would guess its the PT wood. That stuff is usually real wet around here.
I think you're right. PT always feels "damp"

cazuza wrote:When I built my strongback I placed plywood on the upper surface and used the plywood for measurement assuming it would be more stable. It also provides a good surface for assembling the long-hull pieces.
I thought about making a box frame with plywood. I'm going to hit Lowes tomorrow and see if they have any untreated 2x6s.

I plan on working on this a few years and then will most likely turn the strongback into a work bench. I think I'll go ahead and try to find some nice straight wood. Would only take 30 minutes to redo.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I would certainly use untreated wood, it's much more stable than PT and Lowes will have it. 2X6 or 2X8. I also cover the frame surface in 3/4 plywood. It makes a good work surface for lay out, cutting and gluing, and keeps everything square. I make each in a 4X8 section and can attach together or separate as needed.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Went to a different Lowes yesterday and found some nice straight fir 2x6s. They Lowes by my house only has PT boards. This Lowes had all kinds of wood and sizes. Once again.. getting them home was a lot of fun, but I'm back on track. I'm going to work on it today and tomorrow.

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Hope y'all did okay with the rain this weekend! It was nasty from NE Oklahoma all the way back to down to Houston on Saturday.

Good looking work there Park!