AD14 Transom to be glassed ?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AD14 Transom to be glassed ?

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Now that the I am soon to glass the bottom of my AD14 I ponder all the time if I should put fibreglass onto the outside of the transom like the rest of the outside hull ? I did not find it in the lamination schedule nor in the notes.
Maybe it is unnessessary ?
I am sure Jacques will know what to to and George and Salvatore could tell me if they put fiberglass onto their transoms.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: AD14 Transom to be glassed ?

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl, I glassed both sides and iam happy I did when you bolt the pintails for the rudder on you have to bolt them on really tight it will squash the marine ply to easerly without the glass to strengthen it. Just 1 layer of medium glass on both sides not the biaxle stuff just the normal weave fabric l did not want to add too much weight to the back of the boat.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Treat the transom just like the bottom.
Glass on the two sides.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the quick answer. At last my idea about glassing is confirmed. I am looking forward to have a very strong transom.
I have the pintles mounted on the transom as a test and was worried if it would squash the plywood if the screws are tightened even that I will be using washers. How is the sailing with your Angelina in the early summer of Australia ? Did you change anything on your boat since the last season ?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Jacques,
Thank you for the quick answer. I will glass the transom on both sides.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

G,day Karl,

I have gone sailing around 6 times this season. Finished my home made jib it is working well, I am going to add some battens to it to stiffen it up, should be perfect then. I do lose a few degrees to winward but the extra power i get out of the big jib make a huge difference in boat speed. I added a small map table and repainted the inside of the cabin.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the nice pictures of your boat and your new sail. I will start without the otional bowsprit and want to get the boat next summer into the water as fast as possible and therefore I will begin with only my homemade main sail. Should I not move at all I will also buy an electric outboard motor which might help me manouvre the boat at launching and coming back to shore.
As my sailing experience is minute and was on rented by the hour dinghys in my student days, I might still squeeze in a sailing course at some local sailing club on the Sazkammergut lakes before splashing. Nicer would be to fly to San Francisco for 2 weeks and be trained in a crash course by our friend and boat building collegue Terrulian ( Tony Johnston ) who built such a beautiful rowing boat.
Right now I am painting the sliding hatch cover and the 2 lids of the sole hatches.
Pictures to follow soon on my normal thread.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Of course you'd be more than welcome, Karl.
I actually teach at a local sailing school but would be happy to take you out on my Catalina 22, which I obviously did not build, and put you at the helm for a sail on Sf Bay.
Will be following your build and waytootall's along with Salvatore's continuing adventures and experiments. :D
Tony