RB12, 12/3/2015, jwassdo

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

RB12, 12/3/2015, jwassdo

Post by jwassdo »

23 months, a lot of blood, sweat and tears, and we finally made it to launch. I feel like I just gave birth but it took almost 2 years to get the baby out. You can't believe what a blast this thing is to pilot, though. I didn't achieve anywhere near the level of fit and finish I had hoped. I built a NC16 first, but I didn't bother with fairing. I wish I had practiced fairing and other finishing skills a bit more before I built this, I think it was a bit ambitious for my skill level. I think I am going to enjoy blasting around the intracoastal waterway and sarasota bay for a year or so and then maybe go back and refinish it. Either way, I'm overjoyed at how it came out. The boat has beautiful lines and performs far better than I ever imagined. The building techniques described on this website really do make it so any idiot can build a boat. The key is NOT GIVING up when faced with a challenge. It also helps to have an understanding wife.

Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: RB12, 12/3/2015, jwassdo

Post by Cracker Larry »

That looks awesome, Jeff 8) Nice job!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater »

Very nice :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Congratulations on the launch.
How about some performance figures once you finish the fine tuning?

PS: the tumblehome looks very smooth.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jwassdo »

I'm not exactly high tech when it comes to that stuff, but by my cell phone, with two people, the boat did about 28 miles per hour. I know I topped 30 by myself. I found a 109lb 30 horse with electric start and remote controls. I see that the extra five horse were unnecessary, but the extra weight doesn't seem to have made too much of a difference. I'm going out again today to play around some more. There was some porpoising with my buddy and I, that's over 400lbs of human ballast. I installed a hydroplane and we'll see if that helps. It takes turns flat, actually skids a little, sort of like getting sideways in a 911. Very flat, feels very safe. You don't realize just how small a boat like this is until you go out on the water. Also, I recommend avoiding wakes in it!

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

That's very cool! I love the windshield. Congratulations
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Congratualtions on splashing a beautiful boat and I wish I had your skill level because I know I wont get my boat as nice looking as yours. But as I am building a sailing boat the only aim is to get it to sail without sinking which my family members always fear.
That it will not sink I am not putting any holes into the hull like sonar thru hull fittings and to make the finish anywhere near your standards the boat will be painted white without gloss to hide any imperfections.
Enjoy your lovely boat.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

28 mph is very fast for a 12' boat!!!
The smaller the boat, the more sensitive it is going to be to weight distribution and porpoising. The cavitation plate fins will help.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jwassdo »

Jacques, I agree. I don't think I need to go any faster than 25 to 30, on a calm water with no other boats around. I took it out today and with the hydroplane fins it was like riding on rails. Tremendous improvement. The boat is amazingly stable at speed. I think this is a good time to thank you for all your support, and also to thank all of the other members of this community. I referred to many older posts throughout the process. I really could not have done this by myself.

Karl, up close it is obvious this is a home built boat. I am betting you can far exceed my level of finishing. You'd be surprised what you can do. My advice is to take the extra time in the fairing stages because once you put paint on it you sort of lock in whatever imperfections you have created. I'm sure yours will float no problem, trust the process. It will be great.

jwassdo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jwassdo »

When out on the Intracoastal yesterday in Sarasota in a small to moderate chop. With about 310 pounds of human ballast the boat did about 28 miles per hour wide open throttle. There's a big difference with flatter water. I don't have rpm data, I'm not sure what other information I could provide. The grin factor is awfully high though. I probably built it too heavy, but I think with a 15 horsepower motor that boat would have a hard time getting on a plane. I think that pretty much rules out a 4 stroke on the 12 footer. But a two stroke 25 is probably about right.