Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by TomW1 »

Mark I envy your fishing hole. The Georgian Bay is beautiful!!! :D We went up there every summer in the late 1960's and rented a cabin on one of the islands and a boat to get to it. I was in my teen's but I remember it every very well.

Your boat is looking great.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

The claw anchors are the best I've ever used and you sure aren't going to bend it. Works great in mud, sand, rocks, anything. I've got a 6kg galvanized Lewmar claw for my OD 18, with 10' of chain, and when I drop it, we are parked :D Rig it to break away and trip backwards if it gets hung up.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I used a 44 lb. Bruce for the bower anchor on my 39' Ericson and I have a lot of respect for it. I've had good fortune with CQR and Danforth as well but the Bruce is my preferred anchor. I think it was used to anchor drilling rigs in the North Sea. It's funny, Practical Sailor did anchor tests and the Bruce didn't do very well, so it's not so great for people who read magazines for their seamanship. But what it does is reset itself. I slept soundly with it well dug in.
Very interesting breakaway rig on the chain, CL, never seen that before although I've used a trip line on occasion.
Tony

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I also have a 10 lb Danforth with chain. It's great in sand and mud, not so much in rocks. You can turn those into a pretzel. On my 30' charter boat I carried a Bruce claw, larger but rigged just like above. I've used CQR plow anchors too, but preferred the Bruce. You can also rig a Danforth or plow in the same breakaway style. As long as the pull is somewhat horizontal this will hold great, but if you get vertical over it, tighten up and pull, it breaks the tie wraps and the anchor comes up backwards. Saved me $100's of dollars over the years. We used to use crab line before zip ties were invented.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

That rigging on the anchor is brilliant!
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

We use the same anchor on a charter boat I work on and we just use 80lb mono fishing line wrapped through the hole and the chain 5 or 6 times, works just as well. :D

As usual, everything Cracker does looks neat and tidy :wink:

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Got a little work done late fall that I forgot to update y'all on before starting the crazy hours that are slowly settling doen.....

Fire extinguisher is mounted in the front center hatch (very accessible) in the section adjacent to the anchor/fender well. not sure if that makes sense.. :doh:

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Got some time this past week to make some more progress - used a guide my Father in Law made to router out the recesses for the hatch hinges. The small section protruding underneath holds it in place (along with my wife standing on it) as well as provides the 1/2" to properly space the hatch against the deck surface.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice looking fire extinguisher and mount 8) What brand are they?

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

Cracker Larry wrote:Nice looking fire extinguisher and mount 8) What brand are they?
http://amerex-fire.com/

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE