ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST 21 Noosa Australia

Post by MarkOrge »

I love oysters, rock on. Looking forward to seeing this one come together...

Cheers,
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the offer to help Lee. And thanks for the encouragement Mark.

The hull panels are ready to be assembled over the jig.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, look at all those sexy curves :D Amazing how Jacques and crew can figure all that stuff out, to where it ends up looking like a boat 8)

Very cool project, wish you much success :!: I do love my oysters :D

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice looking oyster reef Larry. I'm wondering how it is still there. Is it protected, or do locals exercise restraint in harvesting? Or is there a 'bag limit'?

Until the late 1800s our Noosa River boasted such reefs in profusion. Then European settlement accelerated, and they were harvested at average rate of 2,000 bags a year until none were left by the 1920s. Easter Island stuff.

And yes, Jacques planking panels shapes for ST 21 are something else. They don't want to go together easily though - six of them need plenty of twisting. But we'll get there. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice looking oyster reef Larry. I'm wondering how it is still there. Is it protected, or do locals exercise restraint in harvesting? Or is there a 'bag limit'?
We've got a few hundred thousand acres of oyster reefs that look just like that :D There are both recreational and commercial seasons, typically September until May. We only harvest in the cold months because they spawn in the warm months, or spat, or whatever it's called. There are designated approved harvest areas for both recreational and commercial. Recreational bag limit is 2 bushels a day per person.

The state of SC, monitors the beds weekly for water quality, bacteria and such and have to close some areas when we get a lot of rain. Shell recycling is encouraged for recreational harvesters, a certain % is required for commercial harvesters.

See http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/crabregs.html for more information
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And don't get suspected of harvesting oysters out of season in SC. The DNR is not very understanding. Even when you are clearly trying to remove fishing and boating debris from a rake they will try to issue you a citation for illegal harvesting. Helps to have a lawyer with you at the time. Even better if he know someone in DNR.

I hate oysters from a food and recreation perspective (they make swimming difficult!) but I love them from the fishing perspective. Living here where they are actually over abundant it is hard to understand how important they are to the ecosystem. Especially if one has never seen areas that have suffered from a lack of oysters.

Too bad barnacles aren't as useful as oysters...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for your information on oysters Larry and Jaysen.

Decided to do a quick and dirty 'don't worry about the gaps' trial stitch up to get a feel for the tunnel shape.

Don't worry Jacques, it's now been dismantled, and a serious attempt at assembling with appropriate gaps will commence next week. :D

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi glossieblack;

Yeah !! What a sweet looking hull :D 8) Have fun with it !

Marc

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

very cool hull, I wonder what top speeds would be for a box keel, though I expect for your use, you don't have a need for that, I was playing with the idea of a small one on a flat bottom to maybe help with pounding. Good luck with the build, I would be interested in making one of these myself.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Very fair, nice job.

For those who didn't follow from the start, this is ST21 CNC kit built in Australia.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com