building xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

building xf20

Post by MrPaul »

I've been planning an xf20 build with casting decks for quite a while and finally have the time to do it. I started on it last Monday.

I have cut all of my hull parts from okume and should be recieving my glass and epoxy on Friday but I'm still frameless. What is the best type of wood for making the frames on the xf20? I want to make a boat that will be strong and last a long time. I plan on pulling it to the boat ramp with my 4 cylinder pickup so i would also like it to be as light weight as possible but don't want to sacrifice strength or hull longevity.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: building xf20

Post by jacquesmm »

You can use the boards we show or better, like many builders have done, use 1/2" plywood.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Ok. I can do the plywood frames. Is white oak a good wood for the 2x2s under the deck? I appologize in advance for a bunch of dumb questions, this is my first build.

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

wHITE OAK WILL BE ADDING EXTRA WEIGHT. fROM PAST EXPERIENCE EPOXY AND WHITE OAK DON'T STICK TOGETHER WITH EPOXY. gET A CLEAR PINE SUCH AS DOUG. FIR.OOPS had cap lock on. Just seal all wood good with epoxy and you should be OK for the long run. :doh: Early morning. Been up since 3:30am
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's not a dumb question and Ken is correct. White Oak is the only wood with which epoxy has bonding problems.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Thanks Ken, the help is always appreciated. I saw the xf you built and it came out great. Hopeing for similar results. How did the 60 hp yamaha work out?

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I got my resin and glass and have starter glueing up the hull of the boat. I've been reading the posts on the flounder boat which appears to be modified for the air motor, which my build will not have, and you mentioned 2 layers of 1/2 inch ply for the transom. I'm building the sole version amd planning on a 70 hp yamaha. Do i need to use 2 layers of 1/2" ply on the transom as well?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Build the boat as designed, that means transom from 2 layers of 1/2". That is what is on the plans. Hundreds have been built that way and work perfectly well with engines within the specifications.
Don't forget the transom knees.
Some builders have used more HP and I have recommended either a transom knee that extends higher or a third layer of 1/2" or the two.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Please excuse my next dumb question. The plans call for 2 types of tape. Woven roving and biaxial tape. When i ordered all of the fiberglass and resin i only ordered 6" tape and got 5 rolls (145 yds). Is it cool to use the 6" tape you sent for all of the taping applications on the boat or do i need to order the other type of tape as well. Due to the fact that this is my first build i am a bit disorganized and have misplaced my shipping bill, I don't know if i have the woven or biax tape.

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

Hey Jacques remember me? I was one of the 1st builders of your XF20 to radically modify the plans and we argued to no end about it. That was a long time ago.

I used 5/8" ply for the bottom and fore and aft fishing decks, 1/2" for the sides, and 5/8" for the cockpit sole. All the ply used was Weyerhaeuser Marine Ply. Heavier but much cheaper than the fancier stuff. I used 1x2" Honduras mahogany for all the frames. Should be some pics on this site somewhere. Built like a brick shit house and was (is) indestructible.

I hung a super tuned 115hp Evinrude on a CMC Jack plate and used a Powertech 4 blade prop. Used to fly at 45+ mph loaded over 4" of water and was a blast to slide like a dirt track midget in the turns. Used it between the edge of the Gulf Stream to the Inland Waters of the glades.

I sold it several years ago and from what I hear the new owner can't break it either. Twas a fun project.