New NC16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New NC16

Post by Grainhopper »

Today I am drawing it out. The beginning.
I have decided to go the metric route. Just to make sure, 100 centimeters is a 1000mm?

Doug.

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New NC16

Post by WouldWork »

G'day Doug,

Yes, that's right.

100cm = 1m = 1000mm

And 10mm = 1cm

Enjoy your build.

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

I can't seem to find how to find the information on installing butt blocks, what kind of glue coverage etc...

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Wet out the area with a clear resin mix both sides - so your panels and your butt block. Then make a thickened batch of resin for the glue. My understanding of making glue is it's a thinner mix than say for fillets. I make it a mayonnaise consistency. Apply that to the wet area, again to both your panels and butt blocks. Put it together and put a weight on the butt block. You don't want too much weight otherwise it will squeeze out too much epoxy. You'll see heaps of pics of peoples builds on here doing butt blocks and lots of people use their resin bottle or two or similar to weigh it down. Just a few pounds and make sure it's sitting nice flat level and even. It's good to have some news paper or something underneath so it doesn't stick to the floor.

As with any epoxy filleting or gluing, I always clean the edges where the excess epoxy has oozed or squeezed out. It saves you a lot of sanding later.

it should be easy to find a thread on here where someone's photographed their butt block installation.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Thanks, I'm getting excited but I have never worked with epoxy or fiberglass. This is what has me worried the most. It will be put on hold for almost a week, my daughters have a basketball camp, out of state in Florida.
Well when I get back I will be jumping in with the epoxy and fiberglass. One of the reasons I'm doing the canoe is practice for the bigger build. When it's all done I'll probably say cutting the piecesame out was the hardest part. Lol

Doug

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

The hardest part of building a boat is getting past procrastinating over things you've never done before. I built the CC14 (smaller version of yours) first for the same reason as you. Dive in with both hands and give it a go. This method of building, on a canoe like yours is very forgiving. When you stuff up, you work it out or post a question here and you'll be back on track in no time flat.

It ends up being fun instead of daunting and the pride upon conpletion is wonderful.

Looking forward to your updates, and post pics!

Take care

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Back from vacation had a great time in Florida. I kayaked. out in the gulf. I saw lots of marine life. Was surrounded by dolphins the cc entire time I fished.
I have got the canoe cut out and butt blocked. I have to work fast, I didnt realize I had gotten the fast epoxy and I'm a first time user of epoxy, but it went fine.
will post pictures later in the build.

Doug

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Doug,

There may be ways to slow your epoxy curing. You may already be doing this, but in case you aren't here's a couple of ideas that work for me.

The smaller the container, the more heat, the quicker the reaction. If you mix it in a small container, pour it into a larger one to work with it.

I find it cures a lot slower working at night, as long as it isn't too cold.

I try not to work in direct sunlight also.

It's easier to work with if it cures slower and it can sink in deeper to the ply as well making a better seal.

You get used to using it, and will come up with ways to use curing times to your advantage.

Good to hear you had a good time, get some pics up. Fellow builders love pics!

Take care
Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Also if you refrigerate the hardener it will give you a longer working time. But the biggest trick was said above, get it out of that mixing cup and into something with a lot of surface area, like a pie pan.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Thanks for the tips. I have finished the butt blocks. It went fine with that. The tips will help with the next epoxy step. I plan on using wire when stiching, once I get it where I want it. I'm going to undo one wire at time, every other one and replace it with fishing line, then go back and do the other ones.