Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Quick process check on the puzzle joints:
1. straight epoxy on the mating surfaces
2. "peanut butter" glue on the mating surfaces
3. assemble
4. thin coat peanut butter over mated joint, both sides
5. even pressure over full joint
6. let set overnight

I left off all the plastic stuff. just wanting to verify that I have the epoxy/glue application set up properly in my brain.

Thanks.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That sounds pretty good, but you may not be able to flip the two assembled panels for that #4 "thin coat peanut butter over mated joint, both sides", you may have to wait until it is set for that one.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That was my thought. I'm thinking that I'll make that the "outside". then it will get covered with 12oz glass to compensate for any issues with mechanical over chemical bond in the adhesive.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... I'll not be inviting CL over to inspect tonight's handiwork.

Pretty sure I make my glue too thin. My mixing bowls are too small and I don't think I added enough wood flour. By the time I put the top plastic on the joints looked "drained" of glue. I suspect when I pick up the boards tomorrow I will have puddles of glue.

I have pics uploaded but won't get to add them to the thread until tomorrow.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, just take your time, you will get the mix right, just takes a little time and practice!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote:Jaysen, just take your time, you will get the mix right, just takes a little time and practice!! Jeff
And bigger bowls. Should be able to get it right tomorrow. I figure I can use it like a putty to fill gaps if I need too.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Pics from last night

Making sure it all fit.

"sealing" the wood

Weighted on the joint

Sitting at "home port" with a beer and a sunset. That's Paris Island.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... it's what I expected.

Looks like a bit too much epoxy AND did not smooth the plastic well

Not real easy to see here, but not all the joints are "flat" on this side"

There are voids on the time from the too thin glue running through

And the bottom has puddles.

Looks like plenty of sanding in my future.

Not sure on the "best next step". I don't think I should try to disassemble the joint. Fill the voids then sand? Sand then fill? Open to suggestions.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Sand then fill .
Novi 23 finally launched !

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Jaysen wrote: Sitting at "home port" with a beer and a sunset. That's Paris Island.
I spent some time on that island. Never got to enjoy that view though... :lol:
Last edited by BB Sig on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.