Extreme Flats 20 build questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
eastern_shoreman
New Poster
New Poster

Extreme Flats 20 build questions

Post by eastern_shoreman »

I'm interested in building the extreme flats boat since its the size and shape boat i'm looking for. I will be using the boat for crabbing and fishing on the rivers of the upper Chesapeake so being able to run in really shallow water is not a concern at all for me. with that being said, Can i modify the boat to not have a tunnel and will that have an effect on performance? Also, can I build the sides (freeboard?) taller by say a foot giver or take to make it easier to crab out of and handle choppier water better?

I understand that I'm kinda asking if i can take a flats boat and make it not a flats boat. But of all the plans, the XF-20 is the closest in design i feel to the Jones Brothers Bateau 20, which is my ideal boat for what i want to do. so my last question would be can this plan be converted to make the boat more similiar to the jones brothers bateau 20?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Last edited by eastern_shoreman on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Extreme Flats 20 build questions

Post by Jeff »

eastern_shoreman, Jacques, the designer of the boat, is away until Sunday this week on a personal weekend away. He will respond back to you by Sunday or latest Monday!! Have a nice weekend!! Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, you can build it without a tunnel, and yes you can raise the sides. That big flat bottom will rattle your teeth in choppy water, and the sides are plenty high as is, but yes, you can. I've seen 18 adults in a XF20 and it still had plenty of freeboard.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

eastern_shoreman
New Poster
New Poster

I'd rather have a wide stable boat so im ok with the fact the ride will be rough

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

It's a wide and stable boat for sure. You could play a game of half court basketball on the deck, or probably land a helicopter :D She's a big scoundrel!

Personally, I think the tunnel is more of a gimmick than a useful feature. It will work fine without it.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

eastern_shoreman
New Poster
New Poster

my ideal layout for it would be a big deck on the front for fishing off of and for lounging around on. no deck on the back most likely, if i did it would be a really small one. A console that is just big enough for the controls that would be mounted close to the back, not sure if i want it right up against the washboard or offset of center. the idea is to have as much floor space as possible.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Take a look at the GP21. It is essentially the boat you describe after modifying the xf20 with one exception. You get a small amount of V which will help you deal with the Bay chop. Having grown up around the bay myself, crabbing and fishing I can appreciate what you are looking for. The GP21 is a very versatile and capable workboat with lots of options already thought out.

Best wishes in your boat search. Generally speaking though the closer that you stick to the design the easier it is to build.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, the GP21 is a great suggestion. The XF20 can be built as a nice barge type bot but the GP21 has a lot more potential.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com