GF14 Butt Block Nesting

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF14 Butt Block Nesting

Post by Rumdoctor »

I can't seem to get the butt blocks to fit on the same sheets as the side panels per the nesting plan. Thinking I'll have to cut them from the foreword sheet that the bottom panel is on. Is this common? I'm pretty confident my side panel measurements are correct.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GF14 Butt Block Nesting

Post by jacquesmm »

No, hundreds of those boats were built and we never had that problem however, you can cut the butt blocks from another sheet.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rumdoctor »

Hmm okay, now I'm not so confident in my side panel drawings with that reply, but I just triple checked and they still seem correct. The nesting diagram does show the corner of the butt blocks overlapping the foreword part of the side panel, and that is what I am running into by roughly two inches when drawing the lines onto the wood too.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wouldn't even use butt blocks at all. Just splice the panels together with a layer of 6" wide 12 oz. biax tape on each side. It will bend better and fairer, be just as strong, if not stronger, and eliminate those ugly inside lumps they cause.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I agree with Larry.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

In most cases yes but in this case, the butt block is hidden in the mid seat.
In the kit, we don;t, we don;t use butt blocks but puzzle joints, each way is good: butt block or fiberglass splice.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rumdoctor »

I am still going to use the butt block because it will be hidden in the seat and covered by foam. My main concern is that because the pattern(x2) didn't fit on the plywood sheet like the nesting plan shows (disregarding the corners overlapping the side panels), that somehow my side panels were incorrect. I also noticed that the butt block pattern was about 1/8" longer on each side compared to the dimensions on the plans, so that had me concerned as well, although an 1/8" correction still wouldn't fix my nesting issue.