Sintes 21 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by Jeff »

Looks like a whole bunch of work accomplished Fuzz!! Have a nice holiday!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Well I spent the day with the grinder and 24 grit disks. When I was done I looked like a snowman :roll: Turns out the gelcoat on the bottom was hard and in pretty good shape. I just went over it lightly and still took about 50% of the gelcoat off. In case you do not already know it a 4 inch grinder with 24 grit disks will do bad things to fiberglass in one heck of a hurry 8O My plan is to fair the bottom and then coat it with epoxy/graphite. To make sure things bond well I am thinking I need to coat the bottom and then do my fairing over that. Anyone have an opinion :?: While I was at it I went ahead and took the gelcoat off the other side so the hull is ready for fairing now.
I should have stopped when I got the bottom done but it is such a nasty job I wanted to be done with that part. Now I am hobbling around like a Cloof :( Probably be a few days before I heal up and get back to it.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That is a nasty job that I don't envy! At least you got it done :D

I would roll a sealing coat of epoxy on before I started fairing.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks Larry, that is how I will do it.

I wanted to do the grinding outside but the temp was in single digits and I do not handle the cold as well as I use to :(
So to get the job done I did it in the shop. Glass dust is every place, I will be cleaning that up forever. Oh well it was that or wait till spring and that was not going to work.
I had always used a 7 inch sander for heavy glass removing but read here that many used a 4 inch grinder so I tried that this time. I was impressed how well it worked. There is nothing subtle about the grinder but it will move some material in a hurry.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wanted to do the grinding outside but the temp was in single digits and I do not handle the cold as well as I use to :(
8O I'd move :!: :!:

Yep, an angle grinder will get-er-done, but it's an implement of destruction if not used with a light touch :help: And I know you have a mess of dust to clean up, polyester dust, which is not friendly at all. Ugh!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

[/quote]8O I'd move :!: :!:[/quote]

We would both like to find at least a snowbird place. That was part of the reason for coming to this years meet. We would be really serious about it now but my folks are here close to me. They are both 87. Father time has taken a heavy toll on them so we need to be close to help out as much as we can.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Fuzz,

There is something very alluring about Alaska 8) that is one place I would love to visit at some point. Nice boat :D but...what is so wrong about hibernating and eating bon-bons all winter :lol:

Marc

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

blueflood wrote:Hi Fuzz,

There is something very alluring about Alaska 8) that is one place I would love to visit at some point. Nice boat :D but...what is so wrong about hibernating and eating bon-bons all winter :lol:

Marc
There is no place I would rather be for June, July and August. If you are being generous you could add in May and September. That still leaves 7 months of the year that are not so nice :wink: I have lost my interest in winter sports so winters can get really long. This is the main reason I built my shop, to have a way to keep busy during the non summer months.
If I laid around and ate bon-bons all winter I would weigh 300 pounds come spring 8O Better to have something to keep me moving. I really like your boat and all the details you are adding to it.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Fuzz, I hear you - had to take up cross country skiing; too scared of downhill :lol: Snowmobile - had one and it busted the clutch in the middle of nowhere woods. That was the last time I owned one and unless it's a new machine, forget it. Did semi-wilderness camping in -20C, that was a blast. Snowshoes is excellent to get the cobwebs out too. And for a French Canadian...I hate skating. The best part is taking them off then cozy up nude with a honey under blankets for a whole weekend :lol: Rather be on a boat tho - in the sun :D

Enjoy your time Fuzz !...sorry about rambling on :doh:

Marc

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

blueflood wrote:
Enjoy your time Fuzz !...sorry about rambling on :doh:

Marc
I have lots of time at this point :lol: I am a bit of a blabber mouth so no such thing as rambling on with me :wink:
I hear you on the snowmachines. They, and a cliff, are the reason I need to have three vertebrates in my neck operated on.