OD18 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD18 Build

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, I had the same issue. Just drop the rear of the panel flush to the transom.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Cracker Larry wrote:Yes, I had the same issue. Just drop the rear of the panel flush to the transom.
Did you try to keep the bow the same height, or drop the whole panel (level) lowering the bow height?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Something went wrong when measuring there.
You can correct that by adding a bulwark. Look at the TW28 to see what a bulwark is: a plank that you add to the sheer. Cut that plank with a nice sheer curve and nobody will ever know that there was a problem there.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

jacquesmm wrote:Something went wrong when measuring there.
You can correct that by adding a bulwark. Look at the TW28 to see what a bulwark is: a plank that you add to the sheer. Cut that plank with a nice sheer curve and nobody will ever know that there was a problem there.
Will do, any advice on how far aft of the bow it should go?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Make a template from cardboard and trim it until it looks right. The sheer line should flow smoothly from the stern to the bow, it should not dip at the bow. That is in profile view.
I supervised the building of the first OD16 and the 1st OD18. For each boat, there was a gap of about 1" between the edges of the two upper panels. Tape it with many layers and round it, it produces a nice bow.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I had a problem a little like yours with the shear line in the bow. I just added the first layer of rub rail and let it run up as it wanted to at the bow. The curve of the hull makes the rub rail naturally want to rise. All I had to do then was add a triangle looking piece to fill in the missing bow side panel. Plus this made sure I did not have the droopy bow look. :D

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

this is what I did

Before:

After:

Completed: FL14, OD18

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Does the OD18 plans include a bow mold? If so, now is a good time to put it in there and check for fit; you may need to coerce that bow point aft, that will add flare to the bow and bring the sheer up, avoiding the dreaded droop bow (although some people grow an appreciation for that look).
If you've already glued things in place, then Larry's method would be the way to go; the boat will be fine either way.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

No bow mold in the plans but the trick is to respect the total length: pull the bow back until the boat is truly 18'. On the prototypes, I did this with a cable pulling form the transom to clamps on the bow panel.
The last pictures look good.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I brought the transom up to the sides.

Was easier than bringing the sides down to the transom for me. Either way, it works.

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman