Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Madgar

Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Post by Madgar »

I just recently purchased the plans for the HC14 canoe. My ultimate goal is to become talented enough to build the DE25 but I am smart enough to know that I am not smart enough to make that my first build 8O . My plan is to first build the HC14, move on to a one of these nice skiffs, then eventually move on to my desired DE25. With this being said, I am already having a few issue following the plans so I am certainly glad I am starting off small. :D

Anyway, back to the canoe.........

I am reviewing the plans and noticed a few items that either contradict one another or I am misreading it so I am reaching out for a little technical support.

My first question pertains to the fiberglass tape. On page 5 of the plans, at the bottom, it states to use 9oz, 4" Woven tape to glass the seams. However, on page 6 under the "building notes" BOM it states to use 6oz Biaxial tape. I assume the 6oz biaxial is correct but want to make sure.

Secondly, when I get ready to order the tape, how much do I need? The plans say I will need 22 yds, however the study plans say I need 43 yds. I believe the study plans are correct not the actual plans but I didn't want to make that call before I place an order for material. Please let me know how much I will need.

Lastly, I know it isn't necessarily needed to make a mold to build the canoe, I could just use a spreader and it would be easier but I really have a much bigger goal than this canoe so I want to learn about the molds also. With that being said, I believe I am figuring out the majority of the numbers but could you answer the following. On MOLD A, where it says 1/4", what is that referring to? :doh: The rest of the dimensions I believe I have figured out but can't quite determine the relevance of that measurement. :oops:

My hope is that I can begin the build towards the end of January (beginning of February) if all goes well. Thanks for the help :P

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Post by Fuzz »

Welcome,
JM or someone who has those plans will answer your questions. As for the tape I think they sell either 12oz or 6 oz. but not 9oz.
If it were me and you have plans for more builds I would order tape in full roles of 50 yards. Same with epoxy, go ahead and double what is called for on the plans. either you will use it on this build or the next one. Epoxy might go bad but if it does it takes a long time to do so. I personally have used 20 year old epoxy with no problems.
Fuzz

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Thanks Fuzz for the response. I agree on buying the 50yd for the tape, definitely cheaper that way. I was more worried that I was missing something 8O during my read. Also, as you mentioned, I was planning on getting 3 gallons of the epoxy. From what I've read it will last a long time so no worries on it going to waste.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The boat was designed before the 6 oz. biaxial became available.
We change the specs but yes, use biaxial if possible: stronger and lighter than the 9 oz. woven when use for seams. Get a 50 yard roll.
The 22 yards versus the 43 is based on a light version that had glass seams on the outside only. I do not recommend it anymore: get for the 43 yards = 1 50 yard roll, it cost less too.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Thank you for the response. I was more just worried I wasn't reading things right but I think, with help on here, all will be good. I look forward to starting :D

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Hey Jacques, did you see my question pertaining to the Molds. Probably a simple explanation but the again, I may be a simple person :o
Thx

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That 1/4" is probably the distance to the baseline.
Please state the drawing number when asking for a dimension.

The baseline is a line from which you take all the vertical dimensions and it is also used to set up the molds.

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Sorry, this is all new to me. The drawing number is B253/4

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OK, it's the height above the baseline.

Danp413
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Danp413 »

I just wanted to add some encouragement. I built an HC14 for my first canoe, and I love it. She handles like a dream. I learned a lot in building it, so when I build another S&G boat, I will do a much better job. My biggest recommendations are these:
Get the fiberglass roller! I had way too many air bubbles, which cost me a lot of time fairing.
Do not mix too much epoxy. I probably wasted almost 1/2 a gallon learning that lesson. Especially with the fillet mix, I would mix more than I could use before it would start to heat up. Next thing I knew, my mix cup was boiling. (Luckily no burns, rubber gloves are not good insulators.) I would start out with no more than 8 oz. until you get a feel for how quickly you are able to use it.
Use this forum. There are so many great people on here who will give you a lot of good advice. It made building a lot easier,

I am amazed at how many people look at my canoe and ask me where I bought it.

Good Luck!

Dan
danp413
Completed CH 14