Xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Xf20

Post by Freaknreakn »

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!
Well it's begun. After stalking and much inspired thread reads, I took the plunge. Please be kind as I post this journey. My hope is to build a good flats boat to create memories with our three children. Any and all advice is always welcome from highly experienced builders out there. Thanks to Richard for letting us see Red Alert...what a beaut! It definitely inspired the creative juices going. I increased the transom height to 27" knowing I would bring it down once heard from you. I will search the threads and figure which Jack Plate to use. Thinking 70ish hp for the Ozello area.
Thanks Seth on the larger casters. It rolls smooth.
Attachments
Will add larger brackets....thanks Seth
Will add larger brackets....thanks Seth
IMG_1799.JPG (96.92 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
She's making sure i do it right
She's making sure i do it right
IMG_1798.JPG (107.54 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
Holy cow this is big
Holy cow this is big
IMG_1797.JPG (113.08 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Xf20

Post by K2FS18 »

Looking forward to your build. I thought about building this boat as well.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, the XF20 is a great boat!!! Jeff

arrowhead
New Poster
New Poster

Post by arrowhead »

Merry Christmas. My buddy I grew up with lives in Ozella and owns a micro draft made by Bill Henderson. When I visit we fish all over his area and out into the gulf. What a great boat. I've caught many redfish on it. He has a 70 Yami on it and it zooms along. Enjoy your build.

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

When doing butt blocks, do you apply resin, glass,plywood, then repeat with resin ,glass for wet on wet? Or just resin and ply for now?

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

Just saw Stickystuff's pics, and it looks like resin,glass, then ply. I'm a little slow :roll:

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Normally you'd use either glass to reinforce the seam or a butt block, not both. What do the plans say?
Hank

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Looks very familiar. I just went with butt blocks no glass on the inside. Taped the outside after the butt blocks dry. I'm still not done with the boat so its not a proven floater yet, but I figure the tape and the 1708 layer on the outside will make her water tight.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

pee wee wrote:Normally you'd use either glass to reinforce the seam or a butt block, not both. What do the plans say?
Correct. It's one or the other and the plans explain that.

See drawing E233/3, note # 7.
It says that we prefer fiberglass splices for the sides but we prefer butt blocks for the bottom. It gives specifications and more details.
Hundreds of those XF20's were built that way, do as the plans specify and you will be fine.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

Thanks for the clarification on the butt blocks guys!
Stringer question. On the plans for a raised sole, it shows 2 stingers on the starboard side (4 total). The lateral stringers are shorter than the centers. 1) how much shorter 2) I'm assuming I'm gluing two 3/8 okoume stringers to make one 3/4 stringer :doh: 3) the plans show the stringers layed out on 4x8 to acct for 4 total but if I'm gluing them, it should show 8? And shouldn't the plan say "4 sets of 4 layers"?
I hope the photos convey my confusion. I ended up cutting all stringers the plans length. I have 4 sets of single layers. Do I cut 4 more sets and layer them.
Help :help:
Attachments
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG