Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by jacquesmm »

It' fine and you could omit the breasthook if that deck goes all the way to the bow.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That was my plan. I'll use 3/8 for that full piece. How much braces g should I plan?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Looks like I should be able to get some work done.

Sat:
1. Glue ups dagger box
2. Finish sanding hull interior to remove remnants of front frame.
3. Remove mid seat cleats on hull not in correct location.
4. Reseal sanded areas with straight epoxy.
5. Prep transom for skeg "squaring" appendage.

Sun:
1. Send a few hundred units of .40 lead down range.
2. Flip hull
3. Glue/glass skeg.
4. Contemplate the Cracker Larry graphite method.

If I get half that done I'll be happy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Serious plan for the weekend!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Other than the sanding it's mostly "burst work".

One thing I just realized is that I can't do dagger box till it's skeg time. Can't mix (won't bother) that small a quantity of glue. Other thing I think I've screwed up is the order of ops on graphite. I think I need to install the dagger trunk before I graphite. Otherwise I'm cutting and then FG over the hardened bottom.

Am I thinking about that right?

And if I am that means I'll completely ditch everything on Sunday after #1. If add "cut rub tail strips" to Saturday and then start applying them to the hull in Sunday.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I did my best to follow CL's graphite procedure and the result was acceptable. I can report that in my case, sifting didn't seem to make any difference, as the graphite I used didn't tend to clump even without sifting. Also, though I did wait for the heavy stuff to settle as Cracker Larry recommended, I didn't really find a residue at the bottom of the cup. I tried the heat gun to smooth things out but this also had little effect. I have a feeling that there are quite a few variables like temp/humidity, brand of graphite, brand of epoxy, and skill of the user. In the end the job got done.

It seems pretty hard but I had to add a bronze runner on the bottom of the skeg, as dragging the boat across rocky beaches quickly wore through since the boat's entire weight was sliding on 3/8" inches of graphite. This job was complicated but the skeg now is very robust and stands up to abuse. I made the mistake of terminating the bronze at the forward point where the screws I was attaching it with would begin to pierce the hull, and I now wish I had extended it farther and secured it with a layer of sacrificial glass, because the very forward end of the skeg, which is unprotected by the bronze, is abraded down to bare glass. The remainder of the hull, which also gets scraped by rocks, gets scratched but since the weight elsewhere is spread on a wider surface than it is at the skeg, the graphite has so far survived.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hmm... While I'm dealing with mud/sand (thank you gentle south east coastal shorelines) I will have the frequent thuds of oysters on the bottom. I'll likely have to add some armor to my keg as well. I'm actually debating running from the bow eye all the way to the transom. While I'll be unpowered I do fully expect to have real "impact" to the beds. Clearer water and less channel shifting in the marshes would reduce that a bit, but it is what it is.

I definitely need to "up" the trailer/dolly situation if I keep adding more to Lil Bit. I'll be launching from an actual ramp and need to be able to roll her out into the water a bit. The unit I have now has wide tires which will help with the mud, is aluminum which will help with corrosion, but likely won't be able to take the weight. If I can't push her into the water then I'm adding dragging her over the concrete to the list of things that will be digging into the hull.

Add that to my list of "issues to resolve". What is it that make all of us thing solving these problem is "fun"?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Got sanding done. Went to cut rub tails and may saws... they is both dead.

Lowes for tools in the morning followed by reduction of ammo stocks. Should be able to get rails cut and into epoxy application by afternoon. Maybe. Turning into one of those weekends that make you wonder if going to work is a better plan than your previous plan.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Question in rub rails: am I cutting straight strips or curved? The straight strips flare away from the hull on the bottom side of the rail. I don't think that's an issue (full with putty) but I've been wrong about most things in my life. 😏

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

It's probably too late for this but I think it was Jacques that recommended cutting the rails using the upper edges of the sides as a pattern, so yes, they are curved. I think you will find that bending them in a compound curve will be challenging but it's been done. You may be able to reconstruct a curve for the sheer by going back to the original plans, however.
Tony