Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz »

Are you going to bright finish the rails? If not you could use screws to pull them in tight. I drilled holes and glued in wood dowels to help things line up. Or as has been advised use a ton more clamps.
Me thinks you protest too much.............I see no great mess :? Things are looking pretty darn good to me.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 pm I wanted to make sure I had no alligned joints. First layer is 8' bow and 56" stern. First pic is just the bow section since someone did not buy enough clamps. Second pic is for Fuzz. Third pic is the 56" stern for layer 1 and the 48" bow sections for layer two. Third layer will have 8' bow sections.

Is it just me or do those second and third pictures look suspiciously similar to pic one??
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bright finish. Hell no. I did my time sanding on a 34' Shannon last summer. Lil Bit gets painted.

Screws would work. Although I'm still not 100% sure there's an issue. There is plenty of glue there (yes I do actually clean up at times) and it is all toght to the hull. I just have to limit myself to no more than 16' total (8' per side) at a time. Just for the record, not all the clamps are on those pieces.

And the sand is very very nice for cleaning up clumps of dropped epoxy. Just need to rake and pick up. Done.
Last edited by Jaysen on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

pee wee wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Is it just me or do those second and third pictures look suspiciously similar to pic one??
Dang it. Fixing now ...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just so folks don't have to go back to find the edited version ...
Jaysen wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 pm I wanted to make sure I had no alligned joints. First layer is 8' bow and 56" stern. First pic is just the bow section since someone did not buy enough clamps. Second pic is for Fuzz. Third pic is the 56" stern for layer 1 and the 48" bow sections for layer two. Third layer will have 8' bow sections.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I don't have the V12 plans but Jacques did not specify glassing the gunwales on my V10, and I suspect the V12 is the same. I glassed them, as I did all bright work, because they are in places that, other than the skeg, see the most abuse. It's gonna happen that you drop an oar or bang an oarlock on them, or the boom if you're building a sailing version. Epoxy is excellently durable, but can be abraded or cracked with abuse. The downside is that it adds weight. I also glassed the entire bottom and by the time all that is added up along with lots of paint and varnish, my boat is a bit of a heavy girl. However, I figured that even if I made it to Jacques' specs, which include none of this extra glass and don't even count paint, it still would be too unwieldy to move around by myself without a cart. So in some ways the added weight makes little practical difference and adds to the boat's looks and durability.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Once again, "the boss" has shortened my work day...

Making progress on the rub rails. Boring so no photos.

Looked to start on rudder. Noticed the dang thing is bent. Must have happened in glue up because I can't straighten it with weight. I think I'm going to need to make a new one. Luckily for me Peter showed how he made that fin and I'm thinking I could do something similar for a rudder. How bad of an idea is that?

Basic thought is using scrap 1/4 for a core, some non-marine 1/4 for the shaping surfaces, and some shapeed 2x1 to create a base profile.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Who was it that recommended the reciprocating multi tool? I think I hate you. I hate that thing. But it works sooo wellll. Let me show you.

Someone cut a giant hole in my hull!

Oh look, the daggerboard trunk fits nicely!

I concede that this S. O. B. has a place in every workshop. I still hate it.

Tomorrow will be sanding (hooray), glassing that trunk inside the hull, more rub rail, and working in the dagger board. Should be able to get it all done-ish in a day.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

What is it that you do not like about your multi-tool? I love mine, could not build a boat without it. At least it feels that way now that I have one.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think I have it down to the motion of the tool.
1. It is the only laterally motioned tool that has opposing actions.
2. It is the only tool that that is a plunge tool with no built in dust evacuation.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but for now... I. Hate. It.