Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

joe2700 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 pm
Dutch1 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:40 pm Re: the coffee grinder.

It works great!! I bought a cheap one from goodwill and sat there one night and ground up the whole bag I got from BBC. As Eric says it was very smooth with no bumps at all.
Does it make the product harder to sand or more dense? I'm imagining it crushing the balloons so you end up with something closer to silica than fairing filler but maybe I have it wrong.
Hey Joe,

It does not not affect the sanding from what I've seen. Keep in mind, I'm only pulsing the grinder for a few seconds.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Ahh, I was picturing a burr grinder. I can totally see how a blade grinder would just break apart any clumps.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Started this morning putting on another 3 oz batch in the low surface at the bow. I had a little left over and used it on the other side.
Good idea I thought, Not so much, That prevented me from filling the other side because I had wet out my guide surface. :roll: :lol:

So I decided to move on to something I have been dreading, filling the strakes. I had to kiss sand these from where I dripped fairing compound when I was working the bottom. I applied tape to the bottom to keep from building that surface any higher. Then mixed another 3 oz batch and went to work.

I'll hit the bow in the morning. After that I have to hang and wire a bunch of LED lights in the shop.
I may not get much done on the boat tomorrow.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

The weekend passed without further boat work. Seems my teenage daughters made other plans for me.
So, I got back to it today in and around machine shop business. I picked up filling the other side of the bow.

After that I taped the strakes on the other side and started filling those in.

Third batch for the day was to fill the chine to transom and also the radials at the transom.

I used the last bit on opposite side and on the spray rail.

Wow! I just realized in the last picture you can see how bright the new LED shop lights are!
I can't wait until I get the rest of the up. I only got six up last Friday before I ran out of steam. :)
I hope to get the rest of the spray rail filled in the morning. Y'all have a good evening.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, you got a whole lot of work done today and the boat is really showing well!! By the way, the new lights look great and no yellowish anymore in photos!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You Jeff! I thought I had already posted that but I guess I didn't, sorry about that.
Well I have a couple of tired arms. I sanded the second fill at transom, the strakes and the second fill on the bow from yesterday and today.
I was not able to use the air file on the strakes other than knocking of the overlaps from the spatula. The tools weight and aggressive nature had it trying to cut into the glass where the strake meets the bottom surface. This means I had to hand sand all of that! 8O
None the less it's done! I have the highest respect for those of you who have faired really big boats, it's a ton of work.

Here is a photo of where I am thus far. The white spot is a low spot that's shiny and reflecting the lights.

Tomorrow's plan is to finish filling the spray rail and sand the trim line down. Then i'll have to wait until next Thursday before I apply Quick Fair.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, that future US Navy Grey Boat is really coming along nicely!!!! Enjoy your break from sanding!!! Jeff

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I'm starting to feel like a slacker. You finished fairing a bigger boat a lot faster than I've done mine. Bad shoulder and all. Looks like I need to pick up the pace.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jeff wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm Eric, that future US Navy Grey Boat is really coming along nicely!!!! Enjoy your break from sanding!!! Jeff
Thank You Jeff! I am looking forward to a small break. :wink:
MrPaul wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:42 pm I'm starting to feel like a slacker. You finished fairing a bigger boat a lot faster than I've done mine. Bad shoulder and all. Looks like I need to pick up the pace.
Ah, It's just that grass is greener thing. :)
I'd truly hoped to have this done by summer but I doubt that is going to happen.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

I'm pretty sure I saw pictures where you glassed in the strakes and chine (spray rail). It really helps to fair the hull before adding those pieces. Then you don't have them to work around for the bulk of the fairing.