Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

That's a nifty method.

The error on initial glue up was actually not getting the seat angle correct. Should have waited till Dagger trunk was in. Current issue (while seemingly easy to solve) is I'm out of solid wood! Lots of ply scraps but nothing solid!

Before someone tells me to go to lowes, the issue is mrs won't let me put construction materials in her new car. The story of why is hilarious but just gets me in more trouble. Next chance to get wood is 3weeks or pay for delivery.

Really wanted to get seats in this weekend (and latest layer of rub rail. That gives me next weekend to start on the bottom and mast.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The plywood strips will work then, but you'll have to laminate them for enough thickness.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Plan is three layers of 3/8. Was planning to stagger the layers using some scrap (for reference) to make top flatter. Use some screws to pull the strips tight to hull.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Cleats in. Then out. Then in. Then out. Then in.

The problem turned out to the the seat not the cleats. Needed to relive one corner. Now I have a few holes to patch up but I'm happy with the end result.

Next question: what can be used in place of wood flour for making "goop"? I'm out again and, while dirt cheap, want to avoid shipping. Maybe I just prong for paint at the same time and call it good?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Next question: what can be used in place of wood flour for making "goop"? I'm out again and, while dirt cheap, want to avoid shipping. Maybe I just prong for paint at the same time and call it good?
Not sure what "pronging" is but I'd like to know.
Common other additives are microballoons (microspheres), colloidal silica (cabosil), milled glass fibers, and chopped glass. If there's a Tap Plastics store around they'll have these, as will many chandleries. They can also give you the run-down on the differences between these but you can find that online and on the bateau website.

Failing any of these being nearby, you can make chopped glass filler by, um, chopping up glass. Just take scissors and keep chopping until the pieces are very small and falling apart, then mix it with epoxy until you have enough thickness for the job. The drawback here is this is not as workable and sandable as the others but I've done this. I don't think in the application you're using it for that it will matter much as long as you make sure you're getting good contact between the cleats, hull, and seats. Others may disagree. So listen to them. :wink:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Prong == spring As in "I will spring for paint"

I'm the tech guy who is hated by the very tech he supports.

Micro balloons are too soft for glue aren't they? More for fairing. I've got lots of those.

Chopped glass scares me. A lot. Mostly because I refuse to work "safely" and the last thin I need are glass fibers gettinging the internal air bags. Other than that I've a ton of 12oz woven left and a food processor that is unused. I bet I could destroy the food processor faster than mere mortals can kill a hand mixer.

All I have here is a mini West and a lowes. Everything else is 1.5hr or more which means shipping is faster (wife has car next couple of weeks).

Looks like tomorrow will be last of large rub rail pieces and fairing some crap in the hull while the rail dries. Oh, and some idiot realized the skeg isn't actually attached to the hull. So no seats. This weekend. Probably for the best.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You don't need a blender and wear a mask and you'll be fine just chopping up the glass.

If you are still talking about the stuff you're going to use to thicken epoxy as you're gluing the seats to the cleats, I personally wouldn't worry about the strength of microballoons in a glue. You're going to tab the seats to the hull anyway, and that will provide so much strength that the microballoons shouldn't be a concern. However, I am not an engineer and there are lots of people on this list who are professionals. I'm just giving you an answer that I think is reasonable until they jump in.
Tony

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm Micro balloons are too soft for glue aren't they? More for fairing. I've got lots of those.
Don't use those for structural welds and or laminating, I don't know what you mean by a mini west but if you mean a west systems store look for West 406 Colloidal Silica, if this is not what you mean take a belt sander and make some wood dust.
Chopping glass is a biach 8O :(

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

"Mini West" is what we call the micro sized West Marine store here. Just a base parts store for emergency repairs. Virtually everything has to be ordered from Charleston.

Peter, the current supply of wood flour is destined for the rub rail. What do you think of Tony's idea of using the fairing mix stuff to hold the seats to the cleats? I will be taping the seats to the hull and the daggerboard trunk the the seat. The back seat till be filled with foam and taped to the hull. Are those structural joints in your definition?

Was chatting with the boss and she said "stop being cheap! Get my yellow paint and whatever else you need. TAKE ME TO THE SAND BAR!!!" So looks like I'll be calling Jeff and Jamie Monday.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, call me Monday morning and I will get you want you need asap!! Jeff