Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by peter-curacao »

Tungsten wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 am Enjoying the build! I'd agree that pretty much any filler will work,theres talc powder ,chopped up paper, chopped up cotton, dust from under the table saw it all works.Just keep the consistency between mayo and ketchup.
Build on.
Yes it works as a filler that's about it, and while we're at it lets substitute the epoxy for wallpaper glue :lol:
Again Jaysen it's your boat do whatever you please :wink:
Last edited by peter-curacao on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

terrulian wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:51 am Still going to do my experiment and I'll let you know.
Anyway the point was, remember, that he didn't have the right materials and he was gluing the seats to the cleats, not the frames to the hull. Of course you want to use the right stuff for the right job, but that's easy for me to say, since Tap Plastics is about five minutes away.
When I started my CS 25 there was only one marine shop on the island, if they didn't have what I needed I ordered or waited for the right stuff to arrive, even if it was for something simple as gluing a seat, after all that one had to hold 100 + kg also, well in my case that is :D
So I know as no other how difficult it is to pause a project because of lack in materials especially when your in a nice pace, but I rather wait doing a good job then rush ahead doing a wrong job, or even worse bringing myself or my passengers in danger because of my impatience. :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Let me ask the question differently: since I'm tapping the seats to the hull, and the cleats are glued on really well, what structural point is the glue keeping the seat to the clear providing?

Id think the tape and cleats are doing the real work and the glue between cleat and seat is less critical. I'm not arguing one way or the other as much as trying to understand why things can and can't be used and the logic behind it.

That said, I'm placing and order Monday and will only be using microbollons for filler in non structure until more wood flour arrives.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Id think the tape and cleats are doing the real work and the glue between cleat and seat is less critical.
The seats definitely contribute to the rigidity of the hull. The working assumption I was going on was that this rigidity is sufficiently achieved by taping the seats to the hull and also to the associated frames; but of course a secure connection between seats, cleats, and hull can do nothing but strengthen that connection. Obviously, I'm just flapping my lips here; Jacques would be the person who could give you a reliable answer.
Tony

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaysen I'm sorry don't know what more I can do to explain, I gave several examples and explanations about my thoughts.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I understand your logic. The only "question" is the physics of the seat to cleat mechanics. Does it require "strongest glue" when taped? The v12 build instruction list doesn't talk about taping the seat to the hull, just glueing it to the seats.

I think it's a Jacques question at this point.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:22 am I understand your logic. The only "question" is the physics of the seat to cleat mechanics. Does it require "strongest glue" when taped? The v12 build instruction list doesn't talk about taping the seat to the hull, just glueing it to the seats.

I think it's a Jacques question at this point.
The cleats at the sides and at top of the frames give you a lots of glue surface what brings the structural strength to the hull, this has to be done with good glue, as I said before I don't see epoxy with fairing filler as a (good) glue, but that's me, you probably want to fillet with the same fairing mixture and tape over that? Yes it will probably hold but imho it's just not the way to do it, I would wait for the good stuff.
Maybe I missed it but what tape are you gonna use? if it's light woven there is a chance it will break after the fairing filler fillets fail.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Cleats are wood flour glued to hull
6oz biax tape will be used on top of seat to hull.
Cleats set to fully support seat (multiple adjustments).

Really we are pony talking about the cleat to seat bottom and the fillet under the biax.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 pm
Really we are pony talking about the cleat to seat bottom and the fillet under the biax.
Okay I had too look that up
Talking Pony
When a person is talking absolute and utter annoying nonsense at you, and you can’t get away.
What did he say to you?
Ah nothing he was talking pony.
Go ahead do whatever you want, why do you even ask, I'm done and gone, good luck on your build!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Ha! That was supposed to be "only". Working using my phone. No one has anything for thickener. Saw dust shall be made!