Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by peter-curacao »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:42 pm He was all worried and afraid to move it like that. I walked over to the hull with a cordless drill and a 3/4 bit. Punched a hole in it and said "lets go get a beer" I thought he was going to cry :lol: :lol:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: my kind of a guy, don’t talk, just act 8)
Jaysen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 pm I've seen you guys drilling enough holes to not be worried about it being possible. I only want to make sure I use "the right stuff".
Any drill will do :P :P

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Ha.

I should get it drilled and clear gooped by Tuesday. Then will make the filler once BBC shipment arrives.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks to Jamie at BBC my pocket is lighter. Decided to make one big order....

Paint scheme for Lil Bit (based on what I've ordered!)
Hull Bottom: Graphite black (will extend slightly up bow)
Hull Sides: EMC Fighting Lady Yellow
All interior: EMC Oyster White
Rub rails: EMC Oyster White for now
Lettering: Dark Green
Upper sections of Dagger/Rudder: EMC Fighting Lady Yellow

Also on its way
1.5gal FAST EPOXY (I'm tired of being the slow guy)
More wood flour
1yd 10oz woven
Non-skid additive
Silica for pluggin' the holes some idiot keeps making (I'm looking at you FUZZ! even though you didn't even do it)

Did find a decent supply of wood for the mast and spar. Need to decide on that or Dwyer alum. I'm leaning toward the wood. "I made it" has a certain appeal to me at this point in the process.

Need to pull the rudder out from under the weights I have it under to see if it removed the bend. If not I need to figure out a new plan for a rudder. Had about a 1/2" deflection over the length before weighting. Tonight will be coating more things with straight epoxy and checking the rub rails. My get a few holes started IF it is really hard.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am
Silica for pluggin' the holes some idiot keeps making (I'm looking at you FUZZ! even though you didn't even do it)
Watch that fast in your weather! It will be fast. And watch closely for signs of bluch.
Bet it was the first time you found out your screw was too long :lol: :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:19 pm
Jaysen wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am
Watch that fast in your weather! It will be fast. And watch closely for signs of bluch.
Bet it was the first time you found out your screw was too long :lol: :lol:
It was quite the surprise to everyone! :oops:

The fast will be 90% used to make medium except on days like this week where I'll be working at temps decline to the overnight. Really what I'm wanting to be able to do is have things hard enough to sand in less than 2 days. This is particularly critical with the upcoming graphite bottom. Need to do it quick per the CL method.

Other then the facial condition, I'm still not sure what blush is. How do I detect it? Prevent it? correct it?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Do a Google search for amine blush, which will give you a better response than I can. But the epoxy sold by Bateau has little if any blush. A quick wash with a Scotch-Brite pad will take care of it. If you work wet on wet it is not a consideration.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Annnnd nothing is hard enough to remove clamps. Looks like today will be spent plotting tomorrow's activity.

Tony, I'll look that up. Give me something to do on the one night I had lots of time to work on Lil Bit.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The slow hardener is virtually non-blushing but the fast blushes a little bit. A lot less than the WEST epoxy but still a little bit.
Wash the amine blush off with a wet rag and/or a light sanding followed by a wash with water.

Amine blush is a residue of the epoxy reaction. During the cure, a small amount of amine migrates to the outside. It must be removed because it keeps the next layer from bonding to the cured layer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

One of the first places I saw what I believe to be amine blush was doing a graphite bottom. When I ran my fingers over the cured surface I could see what looked like a thin film of cooking oil. The black shiny surface really made this stand out. That is about the only time I have seen it. All of my epoxy has been fast except some of my last order I used on my transom.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Is creation of "blush" related to the speed/vigorousness of the reaction?

In the mixing of fast and slow to make "medium", can the ratio of fast and slow be used to tweak the rate of reaction? More fast for a fast medium, more slow for a slow medium?

Also I'm assuming that a 50/50 ratio of slow/fast igoves a true medium. Is that correct?