Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz »

It is my understanding that it is the fast that causes the blush. I do not know if the medium will blush or not. I have never mixed two different harnders so I know nothing about how it will work out. I do know some resins are advertised not to blush at any speed. If you are not sure sand and wash is probably the safe thing to do. It is pretty rare my glass work does not need some sanding so I am covered :lol:

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

I may be wrong but i believe you should wash first as sanding wont remove all of the blush.If you have blush and you sand first it will gum up the sand paper pretty quick.

A side note,years ago i did some testing of different hardeners and epoxies.I found fast to be a little more brittle then slow when it came to destructive testing.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yes, wash then sand.

Speaking of epoxy strength, awhile back on this string we were speaking of using the right epoxy thickeners for the job, which is what I and I'm sure most of us do. However, for a long time I have wondered just how much the microballoons weaken the glue joint so, using the marine epoxy from Tap Plastics and their slow hardener and microballoons, I glued together a couple of scraps of Meranti. I didn't do a careful job; I didn't, for example, sand and clean the wood with something like acetone. I mixed up the goop about mayonnaise thickness and clamped it for a couple of days since it's been cold here.

Then I broke it apart using a hammer.

You can see we have substrate failure, meaning the glue was stronger than the plywood. This is only one trial, not the least scientific, and doesn't do a thing to contradict what everyone knows, which is that other fillers are stronger. But nevertheless, it shows that it isn't like putting the boat together with masking tape.
Tony

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

terrulian wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm This is only one trial, not the least scientific, and doesn't do a thing to contradict what everyone knows, which is that other fillers are stronger. But nevertheless, it shows that it isn't like putting the boat together with masking tape.
Don't you need to do a sample with masking tape before you make a sweeping statement like that? :lol:
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Woa, pee wee, I read that and slapped my forehead with my hand. duh. What was I thinking?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

as in "interesting study" I may break out a scale and do some glue ups with different fillers to test "by volume". Weight can be a big issue (think FS or portables) so knowing that using Q grams of wood flour has a strength close to Y grams of micro balloons might be useful. It also would have been a help to me know have something like that for mix ratios in general. I'm certain I used to much/little filler and never "the right" amount.

Then again, I'm lazy. And I have a boat to finish so I can go fishing. priorities...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Assuming you're gluing and filleting things like frames to hull/bottom and using wood flour, the correct mixture is whatever gets you the most workable viscosity, not too runny, not too thick. Beyond that you're chasing your tail.
For fairing, same thing. Sometimes you want a runny mix to flow into a void, and other times you want it not to sag. Too much to discuss here but you can do this yourself just by experiment. A lot of guys get to that point and just use Quick Fair so they don't even worry about it other than to get the proper proportion of hardener.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Called my order in on Monday. Box waiting for me on the step tonight. I can't get anything delivered in 5 days and you guys got it on my door in two.

You guys are killing all my "can't work on it tonight" excuses.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So that means you will get something done tonight...............with pictures to prove it :wink:
On the boat that is :lol: :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Heck no.
1. Did you notice when I got the package? The Boss demands time. Apparently this week it is evenings.
2. forum gallery is going to be down. I will be ... :sad: ... if it is the cause. Its very handy
3. Have you not realized that I'm a lazy bum?
4. Rain and cold the next couple of day. Should be sunny but cold on Say so the fast will be used!

Boss has agreed that IF an sb18/vg18 is authorized a formal shelter shall be included. No more of this weather excuse will be allowed by the slave driver.