Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

Spray rails filled. Used left over where it was needed.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking really good! Are you going to paint the boat before flipping it?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thank You Browndog! Yes I plan to paint before I flip.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Today was a day of sanding. Got both sides sanded out below the trim line.
Also got the spray rail sanded on this side.

Other side, still working the spray rail rail.

Found this left over work from a while back. I'd completely forgotten about it. :lol:

I'll have to mix some more microballoons for this fill. The chine to trim I can use Quick Fair.
I remembered it when I looked out the back door and saw this deviation.

I hope to come fill this in the morning.
Y'all have a great weekend.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, you and your girls have a nice weekend as well!! Glad to see you are back on the boat and it is really looking nice now!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Your persistence is paying off, it's getting done! This is a good reminder of how keeping the pressure on, slogging ahead with the part of the process that most people dislike is the quickest way to get it behind and on to the next phase of the build.

That's looking good!
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Hank, I really appreciate those words. It's true fairing is not a great deal of fun. You just have to get through it. To wit, I finished sanding the starboard spray rail. Then I moved forward to more fill work. I used a total of 6 ounces of fairing mix and applied it as shown. I think I can go to Quick Fair next week. I really won't be sure until I get this sanded out.

Transom transition was still low so I used the leftover mix to fill it one more time.

I'm going to pick up my Beautiful girls and take them to lunch. Y'all enjoy the day!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Good Morning Everyone,

I started my day at Lowes for some paint sticks. The guy in the paint department gave my a dozen of the large ones for free! 8)
I was surprised, Your lucky to get the time of day for that anymore. Then I picked up a gallon of Moo Juice for my girls and ran it by the house on the way to the shop. Then I mist sprayed my work surface with water and wiped it down. I'd sponge mopped the entire hull couple days back but there was still some fine dust left on it. I have a fan rigged to blow across the hull while I work so I turned it on to dry out the damp spots. Then I went and made some coffee. I got out the Quick Fair and read the instructions again. Then I covered my scale with a gallon ziplock to keep it clean.

I opened part A first. It looked like "Silly Putty" for those of you old enough to know what that is. Next up was part B, When I opened it there was a yellow oil like liquid on top of the compound. I figure since it has sat over a year this was normal. i spent some time folding and mixing this back in the compound. I scooped out 7 ounces of part A in my weigh boat with the stick I labelled A. Then got out 3 ounces of part B. I stirred the two together until it was streaked looking. I decided to get it out of the container and on to my mortar board. There I finished mixing with a small spatula. That was a lot easier than mixing in the weigh boat.

On to the hull. I decided I'd work the merge surface of the two bottom pieces. As I started I used a 5" spatula to put the quick fair on the boat. Once I had enough down I used a 14" wide piece of G10 fiber glass to smooth over the quick fair. As I went I saw I most of the low areas were from the tape over laps so I continued with the 5" spatula only on that "line". I was not sure how far 10 ounces would, I felt this would give me a better idea.

First impression, WOW this is so much easier and nicer to use than epoxy/balloon mix. It spreads like a thick frosting and is smooth as silk under the spatula. Only near the end did it feel slightly gummy. That said, It probably felt that way as I was using the last remnants from the spatula. I'll come back around 3 pm to see if it has cured. I finished right at 11 am and the shop temperature was 68 degrees. As of now I kinda wished I had started with this stuff. I know it costs a bit more but the way it mixes and if it cures that quickly (4 hour) as opposed to overnight, it is worth every penny.

The goods:

This is how far the batch went. That's about a foot short of the lifting strake.

Well I'm headed to the grocery store for a few things. I'll post later when I check on the cure state. Y'all have a great weekend!!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Good work even if you made me feel old with the silly putty comment.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Eric I am not sure how warm your shop is but temperature will make a huge difference in the cure time. System3 says 4 hours to machine sand if the temp is 77f. My work area is usually around 60f and I find it works best for me to let things set overnight.
I do love the QuickFair. I have found it to be pretty forgiving. I mix by eye, 2 scoops to one scoop, and have not had a problem yet. Most of us put it on way too thick and end up sanding most of it back off. As Cracker Larry says "we are not icing a cake here" I found that to be good advise from "The Man" :D