Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by narfi »

One of my son's friends had some silly putty the other day, so it's still around.

I asked him if he knew how to lift comics out of the funny paper with it. He didn't, nor did he know what a funny paper was......

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

BB Sig wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:44 am Good work even if you made me feel old with the silly putty comment.
Thank You, Sorry I made you feel that way. I feel old when my kids say "what is silly putty? :lol:
Fuzz wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:13 pm Eric I am not sure how warm your shop is but temperature will make a huge difference in the cure time. System3 says 4 hours to machine sand if the temp is 77f. My work area is usually around 60f and I find it works best for me to let things set overnight.
I do love the QuickFair. I have found it to be pretty forgiving. I mix by eye, 2 scoops to one scoop, and have not had a problem yet. Most of us put it on way too thick and end up sanding most of it back off. As Cracker Larry says "we are not icing a cake here" I found that to be good advise from "The Man" :D
Shop was 70 when I left, I'll check it but I don't think it will be ready to sand today. I did throw it thick in that low line, but I know it needed it. We'll see after I sand. That's why I only did this one batch today. I have no idea of how low these lows are. I miss Cracker Larry a bunch, I hope he gets better soon.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

narfi wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:39 pm One of my son's friends had some silly putty the other day, so it's still around.

I asked him if he knew how to lift comics out of the funny paper with it. He didn't, nor did he know what a funny paper was......
That's Exactly what I'm talking about! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric sounds like you need to put a guide coat down. Use anything from Krylon fast drying spray paint, I like the bright blue on the purple mix, but black works well on Quik fair, keep the can moving so you only get dots. You can also use graphite spread very lightly, or there is a product on line specifically made for guide coats. Once you put it down sand the hull lightly and you will see the highs and lows very clearly and how deep the lows are. This will prevent you from wasting Quik Fair.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Tom is right. I've wasted a ton of quick fair. I've used over a gallon on my xf 20....so far. If I try to sand too quick when its cooler in my shop it instantly gums up my sand paper even though it feels dry. If it's below 70, i let it sit overnight before sanding it. I really need to get my fairing done quick. Looks like you're about to pass me up.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm Eric sounds like you need to put a guide coat down. Use anything from Krylon fast drying spray paint, I like the bright blue on the purple mix, but black works well on Quik fair, keep the can moving so you only get dots. You can also use graphite spread very lightly, or there is a product on line specifically made for guide coats. Once you put it down sand the hull lightly and you will see the highs and lows very clearly and how deep the lows are. This will prevent you from wasting Quik Fair.
Let me get this straight, I put the guide coat on before Quick fair? Then sand?

AmbitiousRookie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AmbitiousRookie »

I haven't done a boat yet but have done a few tractors and couple semi cabs and assuming it the same process. I would fill just obvious low spots then light spray of black rattle can to where it looks like confetti or if you have the carbon powder stuff and do a light rub over. When you go over it with your board .repeat this tedious process till it comes out as straight as you like. But I would think you would need to put a thin coat down first since fiberglass is not remotely smooth

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

AmbitiousRookie wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm I haven't done a boat yet but have done a few tractors and couple semi cabs and assuming it the same process. I would fill just obvious low spots then light spray of black rattle can to where it looks like confetti or if you have the carbon powder stuff and do a light rub over. When you go over it with your board .repeat this tedious process till it comes out as straight as you like. But I would think you would need to put a thin coat down first since fiberglass is not remotely smooth
Thanks, I think I'm on track. What I filled was clearly low. I plan to do the other side tomorrow. It to has the same obvious lows. Then I'll spot fill the rest of those two surfaces and move on to a guide coat. It's my first boat build so some of this is new to me.

AmbitiousRookie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AmbitiousRookie »

The left side to me looks a little heavy on auto you would be going for almost see though except for the low spots.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

AmbitiousRookie wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:13 pm The left side to me looks a little heavy on auto you would be going for almost see though except for the low spots.
I think you may be right. I'll sand it down tomorrow and try to learn from that first coat. I really appreciate all the help.