Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

I managed to get a little done today. I lost a part of an old filling over the weekend. A quick trip to the dentist and $333.00 and I got to work by 11:00.

So, I sanded the Quick Fair out. Unbelievable how easy it is to sand!!! 8O 8)
Makes a heck of a mess though. Whats comes up is almost baby powder.
I'll take that for all the benefits!!
I have some obvious lows, mostly from me putting it on poorly. :lol:
To my surprise it was not applied to thick. Y'all had me kinda concerned I was screwing up but I think it's fine.
I suppose I can see what's needed better than my photos show.

Never the less, I sprayed a guide coat on the work surface. I'm gonna wait until morning before I mess with it.
Should I stick to #80 grit or drop to #120 to kiss sand the guide coat?

AmbitiousRookie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AmbitiousRookie »

Looks good to me when I was saying heavy I was just meaning more elbow grease required.lol it looked like some of my work the other guys i worked with filler job looks about like the sanded job couple passes they would be done. So you get to work at 11:00 then lunch and fairing that a long cycle time lol

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Not a normal day, I lost a filling over the weekend. First stop dentist this morning. New Fairing err filling in old tooth, $333.00. I thought quick fair was pricey, Boy Please! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, a filling is never fun!!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You can drop to 120 for the rest of you fairing now that you are using Quick Fair or you can stay with the 80 for faster sanding. Your choice is really you. The guide coat looks really good. Just leave it in the lows and go right over it with the Quick Fair.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 am You can drop to 120 for the rest of you fairing now that you are using Quick Fair or you can stay with the 80 for faster sanding. Your choice is really you. The guide coat looks really good. Just leave it in the lows and go right over it with the Quick Fair.
You Must have read my mind. I dropped to 120 to knock off the blue paint. I thought I was doing a good job until I saw what the guide coat left behind.
Besides the obvious that guide coat shows the faintest low spots (and there a plenty of them). I'm trying to figure the best way to approach this. I'm thinking fill the larger surfaces with a 5" and 12" spatula, let those spot harden. Then kiss sand those and try to feather in the areas that need a tiny amount. I'm going to try an experiment first. I've taken a strip of counter top material (Formica) and fixed that to my 24" hard foam sanding block with two sided tape. The theory is It will flex enough to fill without overfilling. Since That block is what I'm using to sand with, I thought this approach has some merit. We shall see. I'll post pictures of the test as I go.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Maybe I was not suppose to work on the boat today.
I found out why I had to rush order 2500 lbs of stainless last week. We ran out of a critical size and my supervisor told me all the order up untill then had been delivered. Well I went to place a material order for another 216 bars of 1 5/8" stainless today and the Vendor reminded me I have 80 bars due in monday on a Purchase Order that I show had been delivered. It was supposed to have been here on 2/13/2017 it some how got scheduled for 3/13/2017. That's about $11,000 in raw materials I'm having to adjust.
Then my brother had called an electrician to hang the new outside lights today. I had to stop what I was doing and make 4 custom mount to adapt these to the old hardware. While I'm trying to do that my nephew kept interrupting me until I sent him to the shipping department. I get the brackets made and I told my brother he would have to go to lowes and pick up 8 bolts,nuts and washer to put up the lights. I look up and he sent the electrician home because he was to busy to go to lowes.
So already frustrated from the days events I proceeded to test my idea.
I mixed 5 ounce of Quick Fair. While the theory seemed plausible it yielded frustration.
The formica spatula I made was leaving far to much with moderate pressure. If I applied heavy pressure it was lifting to much up.
I was busy as an eight legged cat after a laxative, trying to cover this up.
I ended up just spot filling the obvious places as not to waste the Quick fair.
Moral of the story...Somedays your are the windsheild, Somedays you are the bug. :roll:
Here is the result:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Just hope there are more "windshield" days than "bug" days!! Looks really good!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:01 pm Just hope there are more "windshield" days than "bug" days!! Looks really good!! Jeff
Eric I hope your future days are better.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 pm
Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:01 pm Just hope there are more "windshield" days than "bug" days!! Looks really good!! Jeff
Eric I hope your future days are better.
Thank You. Most days are good,Today just got to me.