Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by cape_fisherman »

Gotcha. And thanks for the answer!

If I may make a suggestion...next time fair the entire bottom. The solid surface will be easier to work with. Then you mark your lines for the chines, and grind that area back down to the glass. Install the chines & glass. You still have to fair along the chine/new glass area, but those are pretty straight lines...and the surrounding bottom is already fair.

You're right in that you don't want to glass on top of the fairing compound...but that's why you grind back down to glass in those areas afterward.

Best of luck. Your sweat will pay off in the end!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I promise you I won't make the same mistake twice!! :lol:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Eric I saw you asking about casters on a different thread. for what it is worth with a boat as big as yours I say go big on the casters. After the build you will always come up with another use for them. By big I am talking 8 inch. No less than 6 inch or you will be sorry.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 pm Eric I saw you asking about casters on a different thread. for what it is worth with a boat as big as yours I say go big on the casters. After the build you will always come up with another use for them. By big I am talking 8 inch. No less than 6 inch or you will be sorry.
Thanks for the tip Fuzz. I was thinking 4-6 max.
I'm moving this on a concrete shop floor, much smoother and more level than a driveway.

Here is end of the week. From keel to first strake 98% ready for primer. From strake to strake 80% ready in one pass!!
My triceps are tired as all get out so I'm gonna rest up this weekend. Read as "NO SANDING" :lol:

I also sanded the bow section after I sprayed the guide coat yesterday. The paint would sand off as powder but it's loading the sandpaper.
I think I'll pick up a fresh can tomorrow, the can I have is around 2 years old. Plus it takes overnight to cure.

Close up to show how guide coat makes lows jump out at you.

Y'all have a good weekend!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eric, looks really good!! You and the girls have a nice weekend as well!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Eric this is the flat I built to build my dory on.Image
Those are 8 inch casters rated for 1600lbs each. Might be a little over kill for the dory but even with my tank sitting on it I can still roll it around by myself without too much effort. I bet there will be times you want to be able to roll yours outside for washing or something and will be real happy if it is easy to roll.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz, You got me convinced. I'll head to Northern today and check them out.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Sanded section 2 with #80 grit. Then I filled section 3 and the bow with 180 grams of quick fair. Waited overnight then sanded with #80 grit. I sprayed guide coat Wednesday with fresh can of blue enamel. Same results have to wait a couple of days or the paint loads my sandpaper. :x

I went to work block sanding the opposite side around 10:30. The guide coat clearly shows all the lows. I just wish it cured quicker, I don't like waiting on it. This picture is after sanding and washing the side.

I'm going back to the floor to put Quick Fair on this side. Lots more sanding to come. :lol: :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, more sanding to come but look how much you have already done!! Looks nice!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If it's the paint that's too slow to dry, use something else. I've heard of ink being used (not sure what ink or how), graphite powder, they sell lacquer in spray cans and that's quite fast drying . . . there's bound to be a better way than what you're doing.

It does look like the boat's coming along, looks very good so far.
Hank