Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 »

Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm Yes, more sanding to come but look how much you have already done!! Looks nice!! Jeff
Thank You Jeff!
pee wee wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 pm If it's the paint that's too slow to dry, use something else. I've heard of ink being used (not sure what ink or how), graphite powder, they sell lacquer in spray cans and that's quite fast drying . . . there's bound to be a better way than what you're doing.

It does look like the boat's coming along, looks very good so far.
Thank You too Hank.
I will try something else, this ain't getting it.

So I planned to work until 3 today. I got another 60 grams of Q.F. applied. I'll come in in the morning to do some more.
I skipped lunch and now I need to eat, getting light headed.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz, I almost forgot. I decided to go with 8 castors under the strong back. I just think it's too long for only 4 wheels. I went with 4" diameter wheels, load rate is 300 pounds each. I went to the transom and tried lifting the boat up dead lift style. I'm still fairly strong for an Old Fart, I was able to pick the boat up off the strong back with a little effort. So I'm thinking 2400 pounds of support will be enough.
Here are the castor boards:

These are the brackets I made to mount the castors. 1/8" x 1 3/4 angle iron. Securing with 5/16 lag bolts.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Here's the standard guide coat product for auto body finishing: http://3mcollision.com/3m-dry-guide-coa ... 05861.html

I believe it's a powder, they mention "no dry time". It's just one option, but a good one.

Here's a link to an auto body forum where a member describes using it: https://www.autobody101.com/forums/view ... =5&t=17445

I think you can improvise with other products, but it helps to know what is available.
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Hank, Big Thank You!! I'm gonna get some on order!! What a blessing!!!!! 8)

I'll have it monday! Thanks again for the research!
Last edited by Eric1 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Eric I am sure you went with a good choice. Your strongback/skid has to be really stiff to get away with only four castors. My shop floor is all tapered to flow water to a drain so the more casters the harder it is to keep it level and not have any twist in it.
Boat is coming along nicely. Even if it does not feel like it the fairing will end at some point :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:36 pm Eric I am sure you went with a good choice. Your strongback/skid has to be really stiff to get away with only four castors. My shop floor is all tapered to flow water to a drain so the more casters the harder it is to keep it level and not have any twist in it.
Boat is coming along nicely. Even if it does not feel like it the fairing will end at some point :lol:
Thank You Fuzz. Our floor has to be pretty flat because of the CNC machines. I look forward to the fairing coming to an end. It's tedious, tiring work. Sometimes feels like I'll never get this boat built. :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yea your using the wrong kind of paint. Krylon fast dry is ready in 15-20 minutes, it is lacquer based. You can't use just anything. What you are ordering is the top of the line of the guide coat materials, not sure it is worth the extra cost but it will sure do the job.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:50 pm Yea your using the wrong kind of paint. Krylon fast dry is ready in 15-20 minutes, it is lacquer based. You can't use just anything. What you are ordering is the top of the line of the guide coat materials, not sure it is worth the extra cost but it will sure do the job.
Tom, I'll post a photo of what I bought tomorrow. I thought I had bought the right stuff. The can said "dry in 15 minutes" and it is dry to the touch that quick but it is overnight to sand. :doh:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

For me when building a boat it goes like this. At first it seems fast because you can see progress at the end of each day. When you get to the fairing part it just drags because it is hard to see the progress. After the flip things will speed up a bunch. And then for me the final fitting out drags. But as Cracker Larry says one bite at a time and it will all be gone.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:56 pm For me when building a boat it goes like this. At first it seems fast because you can see progress at the end of each day. When you get to the fairing part it just drags because it is hard to see the progress. After the flip things will speed up a bunch. And then for me the final fitting out drags. But as Cracker Larry says one bite at a time and it will all be gone.
That makes sense. Just hard to see progress while fairing. Rigging? Don't even start with that. I'm thinking of where and how to put everything every night when I get home! So much to consider. Outboard bracket, Gas Tanks, Electronics. Hatches, chase tubes, deck layout... need I go on?